[Oe List ...] Ray Richmond legacy

the telfords thetelfords at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:21:18 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues
We were blessed to have the opportunity to work closely with Ray and Elaine
over many years - both passionate about caring for the lost & lonely.

Jon Owen who is the current pastor at the Wayside Chapel has included a
tribute to Ray's work in the Wayside newsletter:
" As I write this, we just received the sad news that Reverend Ray Richmond
passed away this week. Ray was Pastor and CEO of Wayside Chapel from 1991 –
2004, prior to Reverend Graham Long. A kind and loving pioneer, he was
instrumental in demanding change in the area of drug treatment in the '90s,
when Kings Cross was caught in the midst of a heroin boom. He was stirred
to action by the countless lives lost from drug overdoses and established a
safe injecting room known as ‘The Tolerance Room’ where drug users were
allowed to safely inject. This was an act of civil disobedience that even
saw Ray arrested, yet didn't deter him from persevering with his vision.
Reverend Ray Richmond's actions, along with widespread support from our
community, led to a change in state legislation and the subsequent approval
and opening of the first medically supervised injecting centre (MSIC),
which still stands today on Darlinghurst Rd. All of us at Wayside owe a
debt of gratitude to Ray. He will be greatly missed."

May he rest in peace
John & Elaine