[Oe List ...] Layers and Lenses of Biblical Interpretation

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Tue Oct 8 08:27:02 PDT 2019

Thanks, Marshall.
Ellie elliestock at aol.com

-----Original Message-----
From: W. J. via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
To: Order Ecumenical Community <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
Cc: W. J. <synergi at yahoo.com>
Sent: Tue, Oct 8, 2019 10:11 am
Subject: [Oe List ...] Layers and Lenses of Biblical Interpretation

I was inspired over the weekend to create a visual graphic (attached) to get onto a single page an image of the interpretive 'lenses' through which we read the Bible, including the largely unconscious implicit biases we may bring to the text that can distort or misread/misunderstand the context of the text.There's also 2 pages of text that quote Aaron Chalmers' scholarly article on 'The Influence of Cognitive Biases on Biblical Interpretation.'I'm trying to understand and appreciate why some folks are so emotionally attached to their version of what they think the Bible says about LGBTQIA people that they get very upset when their interpretation is questioned.Becoming aware of our cognitive biases is a helpful way to discover more graceful compassion in respectful listening.This chart is the best I can do for now to add to the discussion. Please use it (or not) or adapt it as you may see fit.Marshall_______________________________________________
OE mailing list
OE at lists.wedgeblade.net