[Oe List ...] 5/16/19, Progressing Spirit: Brian McLaren: What Am I Now?

Roxana Harper foxyrox01 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 08:09:35 PDT 2019

May I commend to you all the books of Robin Meyers:

"Why the Christian Right Is Wrong: A Minister's Manifesto for Taking Back
Your Faith, Your Flag, Your Future"

"Saving Jesus from the Church: How to Stop Worshipping Christ and Start
Following Jesus"

"The Underground Church: Reclaiming the Subversive Way of Jesus"

"Spiritual Defiance: Building a Beloved Community of Resistance"

Grace and peace,
Roxana Harper

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 8:30 AM H. A. Tillinghast via OE <
oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Ellie, for forwarding the Progressing Spirit emails.
>
> This column by Brian McLaren I found particularly stimulating. He, more
> than any other thinker for me, brings together the best of what is
> happening in present theology and religious movements. If anyone has
> another voice they find of like significance, I would be most happy to hear
> about that person.
>
> I’m currently working on trying to relate the work of the biblical
> scholars who point out the need to place the first two centuries of the
> Jesus movement in its context of and conflict with the Roman Empire. Then
> I’m trying to find what this means for today’s church set in today’s
> empire. The best book I have found tying these two together, one written
> ten years ago by Brian McLaren, is not among his books mentioned in this
> column. It is his “Everything Must Change: Jesus, global crises, and a
> revolution of hope.” I recommend it highly.
>
> Grace and Peace,
>
> Bud Tillinghast

*"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still
plant my apple tree."*
-- Martin Luther