[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Fwd: Birthday Witness

Robertson Work warkers at msn.com
Mon Dec 16 11:01:13 PST 2019

A meditation for the Death Team -

"When we have freedom, what seemed to be suffering becomes Wondrous Being. . . . Wondrous Being is beyond being and nonbeing. . . . When a leaf is born, we can sing Happy Continuation. When a leaf falls, we can sing Happy Continuation. When we have awakened understanding, birth is a continuation and death is a continuation, birth is an appearance and death is an appearance. People also appear to be born, grow old, and die. . . . With nonattachment we see both birth and death as creations of our mind, and we ride the wave of birth and death. We don't mind birth. We don't mind death. . . . We know that nothing is born and nothing can die. We have the wisdom of no-birth and no-death. We know that there is birth, old age and death, and we also know that these are only waves on which bodhisattvas ride. Birth is okay and death is okay, if we know that they are only concepts in our mind. Reality transcends both birth and death." (pgs 227-228, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, Thich Nhat Hanh)

As for my experience, I have known only living, nothing else. The billions of years of existence before this "I" seems to appear, and the billions of years after this "I" seems to disappear are the continuation, the vast, mysterious ocean manifesting waves that rise and fall. In fact, this self is made up of all that is not the self. There is no separation. I am not only this skin bag and paltry ego. I am a wave rising for a moment, then falling back into the ocean.

Recent book: A Compassionate Civilization: The Urgency of Sustainable Development and Mindful Activism - Reflections and Recommendations https://www.amazon.com/dp/1546972617

Blog: https://compassionatecivilization.blogspot.com/<https://compassionatecivilization.blogspot.com/><https://compassionatecivilization.blogspot.com/>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robertsonwork/