[Oe List ...] Doris Jane Conway

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook joyful52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:22:58 PDT 2018

Doris Rettig, Oh my, oh my…Sorry I am late in my reply. We went to Tokyo and Osaka Japan last week and barely got a flight back to Taipei since the typhoon hit Osaka.

I am so sad to hear this news, but celebrate her life and her service as one of Those Who Care. I was from the Fresno Cadre under the San Jose House San Francisco Area. I attended the NINS, New Individual in the New Society in a large hall in Oakland, CA. I remember Loudermilk, and JWM gave the closing address which rocked my world. How do we be servants in the world. A turn to the world was needed now more than ever. Doris came and talked with me about becoming a sojourner in San Jose, but I had decided to move to San Francisco to study cinematography at SFO. So I would be a university intern in SFO.  But had Doris not talked with me, I might not have made that decision. She was always very gentle and yet clear, firm, and calm. I did not know George Walters, but she said I could talk with him and explain why I wanted to join the house.
I am sure she will be greatly missed by those who were lucky enough to know and love her. Sometimes it is the quiet and strong willed ones that help people to decide their future and then we forget them. I will remember her as a key person who simply asked, what do you want to do now?

Blessings to all the family and friends of Doris Rettig, or Doris Jane Conway.

Grace and Peace,

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook with ICA Taiwan in Taipei