[Oe List ...] Earthrise @ 79

Randy Williams randycw1938 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:16:59 PDT 2018

Good word, Jean. So if we "chose to be chosen," can we also "choose to be
80?" I think so, and in your case, even if you're only 78.
Be well,
Randy

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Jean Long via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
wrote:

> What a group!!
> Thanks for your reflections on a wonderful time in life many of us have
> reached.  You can't know what being 80 is like until you get "up in years"
> as my mom would say.  I'm only 78 but I claim 80 because it causes such
> wonder in me. This is me, Jean Long, being 80!!!  I promised myself when I
> was 12 that I would never be "old" like my aunts and uncles sitting in
> their rocking chairs on their farmhouses in Iowa (and they were only in
> their 60's).  ...and I have succeeded.  First thing in the morning, when I
> don't remember yet that  I am 80ish, I can't figure out why my back is so
> stiff.  Except for fibromyalgia, which has weakened my legs I have all my
> faculties.  I wouldn't trade one ache or pain - or the insights that I have
> about life from this plateau - for a young body and the beginning glimmers
> of wisdom of anything younger than 50.
>
> When I think of someone who is 80 I don't think of any of you - Randy,
> Claire, John, Lynda, et al.,   The spirit in all of us - the yes to life we
> demonstrate - allows our presence to be a beacon, a call to something
> different.
>
> We chose to be chosen - and that has made all the difference.
>
> Continued Grace & Peace is yours,
> Jean Long
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Jann McGuire via OE <
> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
>> I so appreciate your witness, John and this entire string
>>
>> I turned 81 on June 11. As I recall the phases, 60-80 was Elderhood and
>> at 80, we enter Sage-hood. . While that implies wisdom, with the memory
>> lapses I'm experiencing, I feel less, not more wise. On the positive side,
>> staying in the present moment isn't such a challenge, since I can't
>> remember much of the past.
>>
>> Here we go on another adventure around our great Sun. Happy birthday,
>> John.
>>
>> Jann
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:02 AM Randy Williams via OE <
>> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>>
>>> So Lynda, a similar experience. Several years ago when my 2 oldest
>>> grandsons were about 4 and 6 years old, they were having a day out with
>>> “Grandy,” their name for me. At a point the younger one, Josh, turns to me
>>> and says, “Grandy, you sure are big. You eat too much.” The older one,
>>> Devin, sensing this was not an entirely appropriate thing for Josh to have
>>> said to his grandfather, retorts. “Josh, he doesn’t eat too much, he’s just
>>> old.” What a great illustration this would have been in the Christ lecture
>>> for the moment grace strikes. Josh and Devin are now 23 and 25 year old
>>> men, but I’m still their Grandy.
>>> Randy
>>>
>>> On Jul 5, 2018, at 7:28 PM, Lynda C via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It’s like the joy of a Senior Discount!  I taught VBS this summer to a
>>> class of 4 year olds, with the able assistance of Lyndon, our 14 year old
> [...]

*"Anything else you're interested in is not going to happen if you can't
breathe the air and drink the water. Don't sit this one out. Do something."*
*--Carl Sagan*