[Oe List ...] George Howard, the 'Methodist Meltdown', and the UMC General Conference 2019

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 12:18:37 PST 2018

I wasn't there @ the UMC's disastrous 2016 General Conference. But here's an account from Rev. Bryan Butcher, who was. Turns out that where we are as the UMC is entirely due to (you guessed it!) our colleague George Howard. Who, like Superman, managed to stop the runaway train with his bare hands. Plus a lot of clout!

"But you don't have to be an actuary to understand United Methodist math. Barring an appeal from the most trusted and respected American United Methodist in all of Africa (thank you George Howard), the era of Book of Discipline "fuzzy enforcement" would have been over. Parts of the A&W Plan, which is essentially the new "Accountability Option", were speeding toward consideration on the floor of General Conference, while the previous forms of the "Local Option" and the more-complicated-than-algebra "Autonomous-Affiliated-Jurisdictional-Or-Whatever-It-Is Option" languished in committee. Only George's motion, which swung enough African delegation votes after Adam Hamilton's motion failed, stopped that train from reaching the station.

"Which brings me back to the subject of United Methodist math.

"In 2019 virtually the same delegations from all the various conferences from around the world will convene in St. Louis to take up what George Howard's motion delayed for three years. At that gathering the same three options - accountability, local, and the other one - will finally come up for vote. Only this time, the progressive wing of the denomination is more defiant and the conservative wing is more organized and determined.

"The math will be the same."
I don't know whether even George Howard can stop this runaway train. In time. This time around. Next February.
Marshall
If you're at all interested in the Methodist Meltdown, read more from Bryan Butcher here:https://um-insight.net/in-the-church/a-way-forward/six-things-united-methodists-need-to-do-now-if-their-pastor-/

Why Centrist and Progressive Clergy Need To Have "The Talk" With Their Lay Leaders

|  |  |

|  |
Why Centrist and Progressive Clergy Need To Have "The Talk" With Their L...

Bryan Bucher

Centrist and progressive United Methodists need to plan, as the Wesleyan Covenant Association has, for the possi...