[Oe List ...] Doris Jane Conway

Lynda C Lynda860 at outlook.com
Sun Aug 26 13:34:43 PDT 2018

How very sad to hear of the death of Doris. Thank you, Elsa for, letting us know.

Doris and I, along with Doris Morris, were teachers together at Jakarta International School when we were assigned together from the Kelapa Dua Human Development Project to help earn the staff support.  We also had the benefit of having our children in a fabulous educational program, well-funded by all the large oil companies and embassies working in Indonesia.  Students came from many nationalities.  The long rides from the project into the city of Jakarta were fraught with many obstacles, unbelievable potholes, dreadful mud, and "race car" type driving.  Our old van didn't have shatter-proof windows and it was not unusual for us to have another broken window or a missing side mirror by the time we reached school.  After one accident, the back door wouldn't close properly and was secured by a rope tied to the front door frame.  As the year went on, our children began to ask to be let off before getting into the car line so that they wouldn't be seen getting out of such a jalopy.

Doris was a well loved teacher at JIS.  She, Doris M. and I shared many adventures together in that old van and in the village.  It has been a pleasure to reconnect with her in the more recent years.  In spite of her illness she was always heavily involved with her church as well as the community and her dear grandchildren, and keeping up with the latest good reads and plays.  John and I send our deep care to Jessica and Dirk Rettig and their families.

Lynda and John Cock