[Oe List ...] 5 Questions Addendum to On Becoming a Practical Theologian Booklet

Dawn Collins collinsdawn747 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 18:51:52 PDT 2018

Hi, Beret and Team! Please find the promised addition to the "little green book" as promised. Would appreciate any reflections you all might have (and I do mean any). With a special shout out to Leah Early, who was a great sounding board at this juncture of the journey.  My thought was that anyone in our community who wanted to use this for 5 sessions around the meal tablet on a weekend most likely would be able to do so.
G&P,
Dawn

We love the Creator/Source because the Source/Creator loved us first.- 1 John 4:19

------------------------------
5 Questions Addendum for OBaPT (On Becoming a Practical Theologian) Pamphlet

This Addendum presupposes you (the facilitator) have access to the green pamphlet, On Becoming a Practical Theologian, which was previously sent to you by mail and is also available from Global Archives in Chicago and that you can make copies of the pages for potential participants. Each of the five sections contains the following: Most probably a meal followed by team enablement assignments and a brief break is recommended before the  Intro/Context/ Instructions, 5 Questions, and Closing or Sending Forth of each section.
Prelude:  OBaPT/A Spiritual Riff on John 14:6
Intro/Context
Did you ever have the desire to really  "see" and comprehend the meaning of life at any given moment? Theological glasses are possible for anyone. Put them on as you read the following selection and be sure to number the paragraphs before you begin. Take 20 or 25 minutes to read this section.
5 Questions:
1. We'll begin by saying your name and can you think of the title of a book or other work of art that significantly impacted your life?

2. Did this Section of the paper ( Para 1-5) help recall similar situations in a movie or TV program?
3. Or did it bring up a memorable event in History? Para 4-5)
4. What about in any given decade in your life?  (Para 6)?
5. How would you sum up your state of awareness at present (in a phrase) (Para 7-8)?
Closing This is our time to make any necessary announcements e.g. counting off by teams for set-up/clear meals, time of next meeting, etc.

Let us stand and close with a ritual claiming our awareness of this time and space and its significance in our own unique place in it. (And  it is compliments of the 5th City PreSchool)
L:  This is the Day we have!!
P:  This is the day we have!
L:  We can live this Day...
P:  Or throw it away!
ALL:  This is the Day we have!.

OBaPT/Life Quest (Part A)
Context/Introduction
Let's put on our theological eyeglasses again to inform and enable us to look deeper into our spirit journey. We'll number the paragraphs and circle or underline key words and phrases. Feel free to write in the margins.
5 Questions
1. (Go around the table). What words or phrases did you circle or underline:
2..  What is the life question being dealt with in  (Para's 1-5)?

3..  Where have you seen this question manifested in a particular person in History or in a fictional character? (Para's  3-5)
4..  When have you wrestled with this issue? (Para's 6-7)
5.   What insights did you come away with that you would like to share?

Conclusion: So we have asked the first of four questions that appear to enter into the life of those who seek the meaning of living life in the deeps and not in the shallows.
Once again we conclude this session with necessary announcements for the next time we'll meet.

Let's do the 5th City PreSchool ritual again as we stand and close this time together.
L: This is the Day we have!
P.  This is the Day we have!
L:  We can live this Day...
P.  Or throw it away!

ALL: This is the Day we have!

OBaPT/Life Quest (Part B)
Context/Intro
As we put on our theological glasses we'll probe deeper into the life quest we share with humanity close to us and those further away. Again, number the paragraphs and mark key phrases that spoke to you. Take 15 minutes or so to process (deeply).
5 Questions
1.  What do you suppose might be the significance of the tangent written in paragraphs 1 - 3?
2.  Have you ever put a spirit issue on the "back burner" so to speak? Describe in a few words.
3.  How would you boil down any one of the questions in paragraph 4 into an original book or movie title?
4.  Was there one life question you were the most familiar with? (Para 4-5)
5.  Least familiar? Why? (Para 6)
Well, may we ponder insights said and not said as we wrap up our conversation for now.
Now is the time for any necessary announcements to prepare (the table) for our next session.

And our ritual again as we stand is:
L: This is the Day we have!
Pl: This is the Day we have!
L: We can live this Day...
P: Or throw it away!
All: This is the Day we have!

OBaPT: Life Quest (Part C)
Context/Intro
As we put on our theological glasses be aware of any physical reactions you might have had as you read through the text.  After you number the paragraphs and circle keywords/phrases,  where might you group sets of paragraphs together and title them in the margin?
Take 30 minutes to number the paragraphs and speak back to key points in the margin.
5 Questions
1.  How many paragraphs were in  Part C?
2.  What does that tell you so far?
3.  What divisions did you notice?
4.  Let's take a look at sections 1-7 first, then 8-16, and finally 17-21 shall we?
5.  Picture (Board image) a sheep with 4 legs representing the 4 Questions. Look at the practices mentioned in para 17. Write a sentence on how you might add a practice of a "new you" to your everyday life.
Any announcements?
Let's send ourselves forward with a more adult version of a ritual of dismissal. Shall we stand?

L:  These are the Times!
All:  We are the People!
L:  We are the People!
All:  These are the Times!

OBaPT/Life Quest (Part D)

Context/Intro
So once you've become accustomed to wearing your theological glasses, perhaps it is becoming easier to think more deeply into the realities of life.
Take 30 minutes to read and intentionally number the paragraphs and scan the text using the tools we've been introduced to so far.
5 Questions
1.  Were there any words or phrases from the paper that particularly caught your attention?
2.   Let's have 5 people read the first 5 paragraphs in turn. What insights have we gleaned in this section about becoming a practical theologian?
3.  Are there any practices you've come away with that you would like to appropriate? How many of you have kept or are keeping a journal? (Take a look at paragraphs 6-12).
4.  Do you see any old habits dropping away and possible new practices emerging you'd like to add to your daily life?
5.  Is there a title you can write down now and share to describe your total life journey encompassing what we've learned about becoming a practical theologian? Take a couple of moments. Have 3 or so people share.
Conclusion:  Ponder how you might use this booklet of 5 questions around a meal as a group spirit practice or as an individual exercise.
We've done quite a bit of demythologizing during our time together including the wisdom of rituals to take charge of our journey into a world in need of servant/leaders grounded in authentic living who serve in their sphere of influence.

Rhetorical question:  How many of you--raise your hands--have picked up some tools for taking care of yourselves while on the Long Journey into creating new structures for a more Human world? And our ritual to send us into a life of service and passing on the baton is:

L: Seek the Source that can be found in every situation!
All:  The Creator is near to all who hear the call!          Seek and trust the Source/Creator!

.