[Oe List ...] I'm remembering what happened when MLK died

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 08:41:03 PDT 2018

Thanks for the memories and descriptions.  I ran across this article from the Boston Review that tries to re-present MLK re:  his social analysis (and theory of racism), his understanding of social change and the role of direct action and civil disobedience, and his sense of the role of ethical virtues in both activism and social life.
MLK Now

|  |  |

|  |
MLK Now

Fifty years after the death of Martin Luther King, Jr., canonization has prevented a reckoning with the substanc...

As for me, I recall:First memory:  College IV was in session over dinner in room D that Thursday night.  Gene Beasley opened the door and announced, "Martin King has been shot".  Next memory:  Friday morning all of us walked together to Leif Ericson Elementary School (teachers and children from the Institute) and school was let out early -- around lunch time.  We came out the door of the school and Charles Lingo was waiting to escort us back to the Institute.  I was living at the Program Center at the time and went back there to get ready for the weekend.  I have vague memories of smoke rising from places along Madison street.Next memory:  Friday evening.  I was assigned as a PO or something to the CS-1 course (The Twentieth Century Cultural Revolution).  We met in room E on the first floor of the Administration building.  It may be that David McCleskey and David Morton were part of the teaching team.  I remember the flickering of reflected flames from Madison and perhaps Fifth Avenue were visible out the windows.  Seemed eerily metaphorical of this "cultural" revolution.  At some point we stopped the course.  I was then assigned to security in the north stairwell of Faculty West (the street side).  By then, of course, I was worried.  I remember going to the kitchen store room and getting a handful of Pecan Sandies cookies (recently inkinded) to have with me just in case.  My next memory was the word being passed that we were to move everyone out of the building, across to the Administration building and then out the door and across the street into Bethany Hospital.  I vaguely recall some sort of a cordon to move through and don't remember if National Guard troops were present or not.  Spent the night, perhaps several nights, in the hallway of the hospital.Next memory.  A gathering, the next morning, in room A, I think all the emerging generation (EG) were in room B or the lounge area outside of room A.  The gathering included Institute staff and course participants.   Joe Mathews was leading some sort of conversation about whether to stay or leave, what the options were.  Suddenly there was a "bang" like a paper bag popping or a board slamming down coming from the lounge.  I turned my head toward the sound and when I looked back Joe was no longer visible.  Turned out it was someone from the EG that made the sound.  Next memory.  We decided to sleep for several nights in the hallways of the administration building, pulling mattresses out of the rooms and sleeping on the floor.
I don't remember eating the Pecan Sandies, but I do remember crumbs in my jacket later on.Jim Wiegel

“That which consumes me is not man, nor the earth, nor the heavens, but the flame which consumes man, earth, and sky."  Nikos Kazantzakis

401 North Beverly Way,Tolleson, Arizona 85353
623-363-3277

jfwiegel at yahoo.com

www.partnersinparticipation.com