[Oe List ...] I'm remembering what happened when MLK died

Shelley Hahn shelley.l.hahn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:02:56 PDT 2018

That is so interesting, Zoe.  I have no doubt your story is quite accurate,
as mine is thru the memory of a 7-year-old.  My memory is that my parents
carried Marsha and me down to your 1st floor apt in 341 during the night.
I woke up in your apt with Gwyn and Kristen looking out the window at the
fires all around.  I remember (or think I remember) running across to the
hospital and hearing gunfire all around.  I remember sitting in the halls
of the hospital and I remember the National Guard in the neighborhood when
we went over to campus in the morning.  At least I that's what I think I
remember.  I had no idea Kristen was ever missing!  At least I don't
remember that.  Shortly after the riots Marsha and I were sent to stay with
colleagues in the suburbs (Oak Park), as I think was the case with all the
children?  I remember going back to Leif Ericson a week or two later and
being taunted.

Please don't take what I'm saying as anything other than my experience:
Fifth City was not a nice place to grow up!  The Student House at its worse
will never compare to how scared I was in Fifth City.

Sorry for taking the thread away from MLK ... but that's where it took me.

Shelley Hahn