[Oe List ...] Have you been watching the Vietnam series on PBS?

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 10:26:34 PDT 2017

Margaret,

It would be helpful if you elaborated on your statement about “…all sides were wrong.” In what way? Everyone operates out of a context that cannot, by definition, include everyone else’s perspective. And because we are not talking about an intellectual debate here, but perspectives of people who were engaged in the fray (for the most part) you will get reduced, biased, confused, stupid, time-relevent statements of what is right or wrong. The issue is really not about right or wrong, but responsibility. I felt one of the most moving segments that occurred right near the end of last night’s final episode, was the confession of the woman who said how her calling these soldiers “baby killers” and other pejorative terms was something she deeply now regrets. That is taking responsibility. And all the veterans who returned and were able to embrace the “enemy” is an act of forgiveness. I have been to the Memorial Wall, but last night I felt sobs coming as the camera scanned the names. And part of my pain is that I didn’t find myself sobbing when the scanned all the Vietnamese graves. As the credits began to roll I found myself clapping in gratitude.

I believe one of the great experiences many of us had was JWM, who spoke to us about his experience during WW II on the beaches of the Pacific islands. I never heard him saying anything about the rightness or wrongness of the war. He just reminded all of us that we all die alone and that nobody can die for you.

This series is such a gift to us all. I lived it. I avoided the draft with three different deferments. Early on they didn’t draft married men. Then I got an occupational deferment, which was a joke! I was doing a small job of synthesising some compounds for a defence contract at B.F. Goodrich, that anyone could do and was not important at all. But from what they wrote you would think I was at Los Alamos!. Then when that was done they had an age limit and I was over that. My lab assistant was a vet and he would never talk about his experience - period!

This dialogue is not the same as a collegium, but I am thank full for all the comments and perspectives. They all enable the healing.

Peace,

Jack

If you watch CNN in the late evening you see this same divide spelled out in the NFL, kneeling vs. standing for the National anthem.