[Oe List ...] Teaching methods request

Timothy Wegner via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Sep 9 19:47:41 PDT 2017

>From Stu Harper:

Dear Imaginal Education folks:
Greetings and Salutations! This is Stu Harper, 2nd born son of Gordon and
Roxana Harper, and grudging sibling of Geoffrey and Elena.  For the past 16
years I have lived and worked in Kentucky as a guidance counselor for K-12
students who are deaf/hard of hearing.  Part of my duties this year is to
teach (1 hour/week) a small class of 7-9 year-old students who have
multiple disabilities, including severe cognitive disabilities. Their
disabilities are to such an extent that all four are profoundly deaf; three
of the four students cannot independently hold a crayon; two know fewer
than 5 words (and it can take months of repetition to learn a new word);
and two of the four have their own aide to help with mobility and
educational tasks.

I'm writing to ask for your assistance in brainstorming some ideas of
appropriate topics to teach and effective methods of delivery.  My prior
education and experience have left me woefully unprepared for teaching a
class of this nature, and so I am reaching out into cyberspace today in the
hopes that one or more of you may be able to assist me in this endeavor.

Please feel free to write directly to me at our home email (
wolfharper5 at roadrunner.com).  I appreciate your time to read this, and any
assistance you may offer.

Peace and Joy,
Stu.