[Oe List ...] ORID—A “Life” Method

Marilyn Crocker marilyncrocker at juno.com
Wed Oct 25 17:49:31 PDT 2017

Hi Dear Colleagues,

I am jumping into this dialogue quite late in the game, but wanted to add my two cents. Having spent years modelling and training others to use our facilitation methods, I found the educator groups I worked with most wrestled with developing the “reflective level” questions.  Most groups they wanted to leap from data to interpretation to decision.

As I recall from our years of using ORID (before it was given such an ugly acronym), the reflective level was far more than  “How did that make you feel?”

Do you remember  the Guernica conversation on Saturday night of your first RSI, and how many reflective level questions were presented? It was the series of those kinds of questions like “where would you hang it in your home” and “where have you seen this in your life” etc. that  allowed us finally to answer the question, “What would you say to this?”

Reflective practices are best understood by the religious, because they live them each day.  In my experience, the smartest and brightest organizational development stars, even Meg, don’t quite get it.

Grace, peace and love, Marilyn