[Oe List ...] ORID—A “Life” Method

David Rebstock grapevin2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 19:04:47 PDT 2017

I have been using ORID to do movie conversations once a month for 8 to 10
months a year at whatever church we attend for about the last 20 years.  I
find that participants want to jump to the interpretive fast and even the
Objective is more important to get inside the movie or issues. Two words
above strike me - "happened" and "complexity". Using What Happened as the
objective question just seems to encourage the  participants to jump to the
interpretive level. Also, with movies or books you have to get the
objective out (What lines, scenes, characters) in a comprehensive manner
especially in complex movies that have multiple plots going on at the same
time with many people that all become interrelated.  A good example of this
is the movie "Crash" that came out some years ago. Shifting from movies to
the analysis of the issues in our society today we see that they are are
increasingly complex (such as health care, immigration, terrorism, and
economics) that you have to stay on  the objective and the reflective long
enough and comprehensive enough to have any meaningful interpretation, and
decisional conversation.
David Rebstock

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Jack Gilles via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net