[Oe List ...] More on the Church

John Epps jlepps39 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:17:02 PDT 2017

            The most recognized path taken on the quest for meaning is
religion. The stories, songs, and symbols all point to that dimension of
reality that  lies just beneath the surface and elicits a profound sense of
awe in practitioners. It provides stories that make sense of the
inexplicable features of life and promotes an authentic lifestyle.

It was a normal day at church. As people were gathering and chatting, the
organist and choir provided a quiet, meditation-inducing prelude. We were
there seeking the profound meaning promised by the gothic structure, the
stained-glass windows, the lighted candles, the altar with its seasonal
drapes, and the empty cross. All were there to remind us of the noble
history, mythology, and values the Church stands for.

An announcement reminded us that these facilities require money for
maintenance and staff, bringing home the practical measures required for
upkeep and for program  implementation. The practical side as well as the
profound dimension of this religious institution were quite clearly on
display.

            Then came the processional hymn with the robed choir and pastor
coming down the aisle to loud and grand music filled with “Alleluia’s.” At
its finale, there was a moment of congregational silence when we were left
musing on the rhythmic complexity, the chordal progressions, the poetry,
and the skillful performance of an amazing piece of music.

            While I was caught up in the technicalities of orchestrating
this appropriately majestic introduction to an act of worship, a small
voice emerged from the momentary quiet. A little girl sitting behind me
shouted “Yeeaah!” with all the boisterous gusto of a primary school
cheerleader.

            She got it right.