[Oe List ...] Report on Bishop Karen's gathering @ Lake Junaluska

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 06:47:54 PST 2017

Randy and other survivors of the O:E shipwreck,At this point I'd say that the episcopal Powers That Be have finally seen the handwriting on the wall of institutional Methodism: their numbers were shrinking dramatically as they sailed toward the Abyss of cultural irrelevance.JWM saw this clearly way back in the '50s. (See his brief comments on The Bold Community--when he still sported a crew cut!)But the one issue that has polarized institutional Methodism was its vulnerability to the 'dry bones' of fundamentalism that insists on a simplistic, literalistic view of the biblical prohibitions of all copulation that does not enforce male dominance over baby-making females. Otherwise, pretty much anything goes in the OT as long as it gets your precious semen into the right place to boost the tribal birth rate. That's the justification for polygamy and concubinage. Not to mention knocking up female slaves.
The only mass vaccination program that offered an antidote to this pre-modern theological crappola was RS-1.
The O:E was our shot at taking the wheel to right the ecumenical ship at the last second. History will be the judge of that effort.But as Methodism sails "off the map" of known  institutional patterns and out over the great Abyss, with the tiny fundie minority pushing for another schism, they're trying a new tactic: embracing the option of rewriting the rule book to accommodate regional cultural variations to keep as many local churches as possible from defecting. The price they will pay is the demise of a monolithic global Methodist Church and the rise of national Methodist entities.
This means that there will be a devolution from a single ultimate authority in the General Conference to regional rule making.This trend will put the US fundies at a numerical disadvantage, since they will lose their African delegate votes that have kept them in the majority at General Conference. Hint: they're NOT gonna be happy with that!
Sadly, none of this panic-based institutional tinkering addresses the Twenty-first Century Global Theological and Cultural Revolutions. They're skipping that course--which remains to be invented, BTW.
To be continued,MarshallBTW, in 1893 the Presbyterian fundies tried Charles A. Briggs for heresy and tried to depose him from the UTS faculty, resulting in an independent seminary. They're still at it today.
"And I only am escaped alone to tell thee." --Herman Melville