[Oe List ...] Chronological History - Our Common Future Oaxtepec

Sherwood Shankland via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Jun 12 16:19:54 PDT 2017

I was there, and also talked at length with Harrison about his emering open space method. One affirmation he offered was that "You guys are amazing...so committed to your work...and in my view, you are much better than your methods." This was kind of a backhanded compliment in my view...over against our "historic no-bodies" mindset where THE METHODS ruled the day and our insistance on fully structured sessions etc. I often wonder why Open Space has spread world-wide and is widely used while ToP is still one of the best held secrets in many circles...exceptions to be sure...but not generally known and used. What happened in Oaxtepec was a blend of the two. Open Space marketplace and formation of topic areas and then the use of consensus workshop to pull the dialogue together. Worked quite well in my experience. I felt that Harrison was pressing his own research on OS, but remained collegial even with our differing views of group process.

Yes the suprise of calling the Order out of being was a jolting experience...felt to me like the metaphor of smashing of kitchen utensils, plates and cups every 52 years in the Aztek tradition suddenly happened! And there we were and here we are. Wow. Praise be, nothing left but gratitude for the incredible journey and our many colleagues along the way.
In appreciation, Sherwood (70 in July :-).