[Oe List ...] Fwd: Eid Mubarak!

Karenbueno via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Jun 24 18:16:21 PDT 2017

Anyone know more about this group?  Karen Bueno

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Saturday, June 24, 2017, Maria Elena Durazo <local23 at unitehere.org> wrote:

To our Muslim UNITE HERE sisters and brothers who will be observing Eid al-Fitr concluding the fast period of Ramadan, we wish you the greatest happiness in this festival.

Eid Mubarak!

For one community in northern Virginia this is a difficult time to celebrate. On June 18, a 17-year old Muslim girl named Nabra Hussanan was murdered while she was returning to her local mosque before the start of the dawn-to-dusk fast that many Muslims observe over the month of Ramadan.

This tragedy hits close to our union. The mosque – and the murder – are located only a few miles away from the Flying Food kitchen where workers just organized and won union recognition this spring, and only a few miles from the Washington Dulles Airport where UNITE HERE was part of winning a wage policy that will change the lives of thousands of workers.

Every day, many UNITE HERE members proudly wear their union buttons at their workplace, but too many others hide theirs, or choose not to wear one at all, because of an underlying fear. It’s disheartening to know that thousands of Muslim women who choose to cover their head with a hijab are forced to consider hiding their identity because they fear hate crimes and acts spurred on by people in our government.

Our union turned the first 100 days of Trump’s presidency into a time to stand together and fight. We must return to our strength as unionists in the face of these tragedies and the fear they inspire and do what we know best: extend a hand to those with whom we work and live; listen, learn and join in confronting injustices;and build power and defend each other against any attacks – whether they occur in workplaces, homes or communities.

In Solidarity,

Maria Elena Durazo
General Vice President for Immigration, Civil Rights, and Diversity

UNITE HERE Local 23 | 275 7th Ave., New York, NY 10001 | www.unitehere23.org | privacy policy

Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address or to stop receiving emails from UNITE HERE Local 23, please click here.