[Oe List ...] FW: How Long O Lord

Roxana Harper via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Jul 7 19:50:49 PDT 2017

In my  ancient "The Singing of the Historical Religious" songbook I found
the following:

PSALM 13  (Tune: 500 Miles)

How long, O Lord, wilt thou quite forget me?
How long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
How long mist I suffer anguish in my soul,
     grief in my heart, day and night?
How long shall my enemy lord it over me?
Look now and answer me, O Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes lest I sleep the sleep of death,
     lest my adversary say, "I have overthrown him,"
     and my enemies rejoice at my downfall.
But for my part I trust in thy true love,
My heart shall rejoice, for thou hast set me free.
I will sing to the Lord, who has granted all my desire.

Hope this helps!
G&P, Roxana

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Marilyn Crocker via OE <
oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am trying to test the little grey cells in remembering this lovely song
> we sang (I think) when the North American Priors came in for a December or
> March meeting in the early 90s. I has haunted my soul for decades.
>

> How long, O Lord wilt thou not forget me
>
> How long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
>
> How long must I bear the pain in my soul.
>
> Have sorrow in my heart all the day and night long.
>

> How long shall my enemies lord it over me
>
> Consider me and answer, Lord my God
>
> Lighten my eyes lest I sleep the sleep of death
>
> Lest my enemies say “I have overcome him.”
>

> And my enemies rejoice as I am shaken
>
> But I’ve trusted in thy strong and steadfast love
>
> My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation
>
> I will sing to the Lord who has granted all my desires.
>

> Just my recollection – revisions welcome.
>

> Marilyn

*"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still
plant my apple tree."*
-- Martin Luther