[Oe List ...] Saturday's Global March

Randy Williams via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Jan 24 07:33:57 PST 2017

Dear Colleagues and Cohorts,

Saturday's Women's March, which I call a Global March, was for me, unique
in three ways. One was its size and scope; millions of people across the
U.S. and around the world. Another was that, even though it highlighted the
plight and determination of women, there were participants representing
concerns ranging from environmental justice to student debt and everything
in between. Third, was the diversity of the participants. For example,
older men and women from my community who I know to be life-long
conservative Republicans were front and center. This verifies my claim that
though what happened can, and I believe must, have political ramifications,
it was about concerns far deeper than politics. Trump himself is not the
root problem, but a symptom of something that lies deeper within the
culture itself.

The question has arisen, will this Global March become a movement?
Pondering the question, I remembered a book some of us read and talked
about. In 2007 Paul Hawken wrote *Blessed Unrest*, which he subtitled *How
the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and Why No One Saw It
Coming.* Hawken spoke of millions of "mini-movements" that have sprung up
around the globe and suggested that if they should ever discover each other
and coalesce, what we now see only vaguely could become massive enough to
have significant positive impact. Here are a couple of paragraphs in which
he explains what he means.

*"In contrast to the ideological struggles currently dominating global
events and personal identity, a broad nonideological movement has come into
being that does not invoke the masses' fantasized will but rather engages
citizens' localized needs. This movement's key contribution is the
rejection of one big idea in order to offer in its place thousands of
practical and useful ones. Instead of isms it offers processes, concerns,
and compassion. The movement demonstrates a pliable, resonant, and generous
side of humanity. It does not aim for the Utopian, which itself is just
another ism, but is eminently pragmatic.*

*"And it is impossible to pin down. Generalities that seek to define it are
largely inaccurate. ...the movement defies conventional typologies. Its
liberal leaders are often devout; its conservative leaders propose radical
solutions. The movement crosses over hoary, razor-wired political
boundaries. ... If the movement in all its diversity has a common dream, it
is process--in a word, democracy, but not the democracy practiced and
corrupted by corporations and modern nation-states. It is, rather, a
reimagination of public governance emerging from place, culture and people.
... Groups with varying outlooks and discrete goals cooperate on key issues
without subordinating themselves to another group."*

Whether what happened on Saturday makes visible what Hawken is talking
about, or whether it emerges in some other form, or not at all, will be
largely dependent upon local initiatives. For those who have read Hawken's
book, I encourage you to read it again, and for those who have not, please
do so. Perhaps in a variety of formats we in this community could begin a
dialogue that would direct our action and potentially make a significant
contribution to what appears to be emerging. I look forward to hearing your
thoughts on this matter.

Randy

--
*"Anything else you're interested in is not going to happen if you can't
breathe the air and drink the water. Don't sit this one out. Do something."*