[Oe List ...] Keeping on with the conversation, a bit of archival material . . . The short courses on Prayer from the RS-1 course.

James Wiegel via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Sep 17 12:57:43 PDT 2016

Thanks for the conversation and sharing, a good thread.  Certainly the wording in the prayer song was articulating individual experience ("When I see my life ever is torn . . .").  These short courses touch upon a community dimension as well.  I like I.B, 1 and 2.
THE SEVEN INDIRECT COURSES OFRS-1:  Prayer, Theology, Study, Group,Worship, Art, Meal

PRAYER METHODOLOGY

I.    RETOOLING‑ Prayer is one aspect Of the Christian life that needs to be re‑thought.

 A.  Collapse: Prayer is a problem for churchmen in the 20th century.

      1. World view ‑ the two-story world view inwhich the metaphors for prayer were born is gone.

      2. Baalism ‑ to ask God to give you goodthings or to relate to your own subjectivity is not prayer.

 B.  Recovery:  The collapse gives the possibility for re‑discoveringthe meaning of prayer.

      1. Witness       ‑to offer a prayer is at minimum a witness to who you are.

      2. Worship       ‑to declare who you are is to disclose what God you stand before as           the meaning of your life.

II.   CONTEXT ‑   As withany activity the question of prayer is a question of designating the particularand universal context in which it occurs.

 A.  Situation.   To pray authentically is to respond in somesituation.

      1. Particular ‑ responses to the deeps oflife always occur in a particular      situation.

      2. Embracing ‑ prayer is to be totally   situation in the sense of affirming yourparticipation in it.

 B.  Community:     Depth responses to situations are always made on the basis ofsome community in history; there is no such thing as private prayer.

      1. Saints ‑ in the Christian community evenprayer off by oneself is in the presence of the Churchmen known and unknown ofthe past and future.

      2. Worship ‑ it is also always an extensionof and re-call to the corporate office of the gathered community.

III.   DYNAMICS ‑ The nature of what takes place in prayer has todo with certain essential interior characteristics.

 A.  Basic: Prayer is a methodology in selfhood without which humans would not behuman.

      1. Attentionality           ‑ it is basically a way of being present to the actualoccurrences as they are universally experienced in life.

      2. Intentionality            ‑‑ it is the exercise of the decision a human being makesas a final stance toward some given particular.

 B.  Depth ‑ Prayer has to do with man’sspirit relationships rather than his surface existence.

      1. Responsibility ‑ to pray is to berequired to take genuine responsibility for an object of concern.

      2. Promisorial ‑ it is also to pick up theparticulars that are being faced and claiming the promise of their fulfillmentas they are.

IV.  TYPES ‑ In the tradition of the Christian community thereare several basic types of prayer.

 A.  Petitionary ‑ The first requirement isto dare to assume the presumptuous posture toward life of projecting oneself asa person of faith.

      1. Church ‑ we presume to pray forourselves as the body of Christ in all times and in all places.

      2. Trust ‑ we therefore rely upon the Wordthat we are received people as we are who can always be expected to be foundstanding as accepted persons.

 B.  Intercessory ‑  boldly advance our proclamation of thedecision to take responsibility for all of life.

      1. World ‑ we pray for every structure thatholds life in being announcing that we are to be held accountable for theirjustices and injustices.

      2. Service ‑ we pray as well for every one notfound in the orders of life whether by their own deed or by the willfulexclusion by others, thereby saying we will care for their lives.

 Jim Wiegel
“If you want an adventure . . . what a time to be alive!”. Joanna Macy
401 North Beverly Way,Tolleson, Arizona 85353623-363-3277jfwiegel at yahoo.comwww.partnersinparticipation.com
Upcoming ToP training opportunities in Arizona
More info on:
ToP® Facilitation Methods ToP® Strategic Planning: Mastering the Technology of Participation
Register on line / see the ToP National ScheduleAICP Planners: 14.5 CM for all ToP® courses
The AZ ToP® Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday, of every month, 1-4 pm, at ACYR, 648 N. 5th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003