[Oe List ...] Need a Little Help from My Friends!

Milan Hamilton via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Sep 28 13:44:04 PDT 2016

Apologies if you have received this more than once, but I haven't posted for
awhile and since the message did not come into my inbox, I am wondering If
the listserve still has my correct Email address. MM

It has been awhile since I communicated what Linda and I have been doing to
try to keep up our commitment to the life of service which you all are
exhibiting in your own lives. We have been for a few years now, along with
our colleagues the Butchers (who enticed us into this volunteer
opportunity), working with a genuine grassroots organization called Corazon,
which began several decades ago building houses for and with people in the
Colonias of Tijuana and Tecate, Baja, Mexico. The organization has evolved
over the years into a full community-building, family-oriented effort and
now works in seven, soon to be eight separate communities, with a total of
10 staff, eight of whom are Mexican. In addition to the continued program of
house-builds in a day using all volunteers, there is an emphasis on local
leadership development, support for education from elementary to college age
students (tutoring and scholarships), and several other emerging projects,
all aimed at self-sustenance and growing the sense of community.

The staff of Corazon has adopted ToP methods in their entirety and all staff
have been to TFM. The executive director would by now be on a path to
certification as a ToP trainer if she was not so dedicated to her mission
with Corazon. Linda has done most of the follow-up training of staff and
mentoring, as well as co-leading with the E.D. a number of trainings. The
methods are now being disseminated into the leadership of the seven
communities.

My role with Corazon as a volunteer has been providing technical support,
specifically helping to set up a computer learning lab. The vision for this
is to have computer learning capability in all of the seven or eight
community centers. I have been refurbishing donated computer equipment and
taking it down to the Tijuana office, where one of the staff who is quite
tech-savvy completes the setup and training of users. I have been letting
all my friends in my neighborhood know that I welcome their donations of
computers, monitors, peripherals, etc, when they are ready to upgrade. I
have now taken on the task of locating used laptops, netbooks, tablets, etc.
that still have life in them. We are hopeful of beginning to provide a
notebook or tablet to be incorporated in the scholarship program to be given
to students who qualify through Corazon's point system (they have to earn
their scholarships etc. by putting in tutoring or volunteer hours). I am
able to wipe all personal data and programs if necessary, and even try to
recover photos, videos, data that may be left, before refurnishing the unit.
Any Windows laptop from XP on is OK. Mac notebooks OK, Chromebooks, any kind
of tablet, iPad, etc. Unfortunately, I am not able to cover shipping costs.
But if you are thinking of moving to a new laptop or tablet and want to
donate your old one, and are willing to bear the cost of shipping it to me,
I assure you they will be put to good use for a great organization.
Education in Mexico is tuition-free at the elementary to about 8th grade
level, but it still costs a grade school student about $200 a year, $700 for
middle school, more for high school and college of course. Students may have
cell phones, but they are in need of working computers to do their homework
and other school projects. If you can help out it will be most appreciated.

If you would like to learn more about Corazon, the organization and its
programs, please go to the following link:  <http://www.corazon.org/en/>
http://www.corazon.org/en/

Thanks for your consideration!

Milan Hamilton