[Oe List ...] Trump disaster aftermath: personal and European reflections.

Adam Thomson via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Nov 12 01:46:14 PST 2016

 From Adam Thomson, Dover South-East England

Following from previous interchanges ricocheting around from Jim's
comment re my recent birthday, here are some pieces from Guardian
correspondents that were posted today following the Trump disaster.

Timothy Garton Ash:
Populists are Out to Divide Us. They Must be Stopped.
[TGA asserts that Angela Merkle is now the leader of the free world -
I can't quarrel with that]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/11/populists-us

Martin Kettle:
It's Easy to Hate Donald Trump - but Essential to Learn from Him
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/donald-trump-voters-liberal-order

Jonathan Freedland: Trump's World is Too Dark - Even for Leonard Cohen
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/donald-trump-voters-liberal-order

And, concerning Brexit - inextricably linked - I attach a piece I
sent to my family, given that our family is irrevocably split,
brother against brother on the Brexit question.

All the above-referenced pieces are pointing to the possible collapse
of Europe following Trump, creating conditions similar to those that
catalysed the 2nd World War. We must think in the broadest context
(Old Movement wisdom) and I am struggling to find the first clue to
survival. One would be if the UK abandoned Brexit, for the sake of
stabilising Europe.

I am still looking and listening, and reading...

And, yes, I have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. But that's
just a minor trauma compared with the Brexit and Trump body blows
over the last six months.

I will continue to draw great sustenance from this Order Ecumenical
Community forum, for quite a long time to come.

Colleagues, please continue to point to signs of hope and possibility.

With love to all,

Adam Thomson