[Oe List ...] A Word on the US Election

Herman Greene via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Nov 7 12:08:34 PST 2016

Folks I posted this on the Center for Ecozoic Society list serve and
someone suggested I post it here, so I am:

Dear friends,

On Wednesday, November 9th, we will wake up to a new world—the US election
has that importance. Neither Clinton nor Trump will be able sufficiently to
address the challenges of sustainability and resilience. Trump has however
said that he will “save” $100 billion by cutting off federal funding for
renewable energy, climate change, and environmental regulation, and will
withdraw from the Paris climate treaty. On the other hand, Trump represents
a move to localism that many environmentalists advocate albeit with
something else in mind.

I have been reading David Orr’s new book, Dangerous Years: Climate Change,
the Long Emergency and the Way Forward. It is a fitting sequel to his book
Down to the Wire and is a sober look at the times ahead. I highly recommend
it.

The work of ecozoans will be the same no matter who wins the presidential
election. I think our work will benefit from Hillary Clinton’s election,
although if elected, her presidency will run into tremendous turbulence and
backlash on the right and cynicism on the left. Such is the state of
American politics today.

Together,

Herman

Herman F. Greene