[Oe List ...] Parliament of World Religions ??

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Feb 10 08:26:29 PST 2016

Wow!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: via OE
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2015 4:59 PM
To: oe at lists.wedgeblade.net; dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Cc: luigi at jlpersi.com
Subject: Re: [Oe List ...] Parliament of World Religions ??

Hello, Everyone!

The Zahrts asked us about our impressions of Parliament (see message at bottom of this email & read that first.) Finally sent off note to them; and they in turn suggested we send our "report" to the OE/ICA listserves.  So here goes..... unedited from our original to Lin & David.....   We're curious to know who else from OE community might have attended.   Let us hear from you!    We definitely feel re-invigorated in our interfaith work!

Lin and David -- sorry to be so late replying, started this before Thanksgiving;  So much to tell you.....!!!!

YES, YES, YES.  We got there and what an amazing event it was!  Had to put off replying, as I figured it will take  a very looonnggg time to tell you ALL about it!  We've given presentations to several groups we're part of here, including a short one to our SG Interfaith Council.  In the meantime, here's very brief synopsis for you....

Felt lucky to start with, to discover (thru Episcopal diocese in SLC) the 2 for 1 discount, so we both got to attend 5 day event for $500 total.  Next good fortune, to be offered "guest suite" at a friend's home in SLC (David, this was the SLC home of couple who provided you and Luigi their extra house here in SG during WSR!!).  Sue & Ray were  back in SG and gave us the key to their SLC home, just 15 minutes drive from DT.  We worried a bit about parking, but no need, as it turned out be cheap to free and very convenient across from convention center.

Meals:  took a little food, so had breakfast at home; a couple of dinners we cooked at home (late) or found burgers or simple foods closeby; Lunch was prepared and served all five days by Sikkhs who had traveled from everywhere to provide FREE (and delicious) Langar for the whole Parliament!  Everyone required to take off shoes, cover heads, and sit on the floor (a sign of equality, we were told) to be served.  Absolutely amazing order, generosity, and kindness!

The setting was Salt Lake Palace, huge Convention Center covering at least city block, close to Mormon Temple and Tabernacle.   Filled with art, music, banners, labyrinth, sand mandalas and more, it was turned into sacred space where Rabbis, Imans, Budhhist nuns and monks, Hindus, Jains, pagans and Christians of every stripe (Mormons to Catholic) mingled and met.  Days consisted of faith observances in AM starting at 7 AM (we didn't get to any of these), workshops/panel presentations 1 1/2 hours thruout the day, a plenary or 2 per day/evening (each to cover the 6 main issues) plus opening and closing.

About 10,000 faith leaders and ordinary folks (over 60% women and young people for first time in Parliament history); representing 50 major faiths (500+ denominations); 80 nations.  1000 volunteers.  A fat book (plus an app this time) described the 1200 programs/panels/workshops over the 5 days.

Best part:    EVERYTHING!!!
Jill:   If I had to choose, it would be meeting so many people eager to talk and share their success stories and their faith, hope and love for diverse people and the planet!  then just as open and eager to learn and hear experiences and ideas from others, and ready to commit to solving issues together.
Luigi: overall mutual respect, love and understanding among diversity of faiths and people present. one highlight was 5 mayors' workshop on becoming/creating compassionate cities, implementing Karen Armstrong's Charter of Compassion on city wide basis.

Disappointed ahead of time that Dalia Lama had to cancel per Drs. orders.  Nevertheless, his spirit permeated the
gathering, and he'd sent short video for all to watch!   Also missed hearing Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert, as the Tabernacle was filled to its capacity (with 6,000 people) before we got to entrance.  Also, we missed so many interesting workshops/programs/films because there were just so many going on at same time!

Wish we'd known beforehand:

Well, we grew more excited as we prepared to go;  during the gathering, we often just said:  Wow! and Wow! Super excited and ready to share with anyone willing to listen to us once we got home!   Feel like we got inoculated with hope and possibility of a peaceful world to get us through ensuing past weeks of grim news.

SO, would have urged more people to go;  as it was, at least 8-10 people attended whom we know as close friends or colleagues in St. George.  We did meet Herman Greene, but wished we could have spent more time with him -- did not go to his presentation (too many conflicting choices in that time frame); would really liked to debrief with him at end.  Did not see or run into Kaira Lingo, though I saw her name listed as part of group dance presentation too!

In all, it reminded me a bit of our ICA summer GRAs in early days -- just 6x larger, even more diverse and maybe now larger issues to be solved!   Not quite so much singing (though there was a theme song); but daily dancing available (via universal peace dancers); rituals of all traditions, and plenty of personal stories from plenary presenters who urged us to work together and commit to action, even when plan or solution might not be perfect!

Are you at the edge of your armchairs yet????  Or are you still with me?...as the Board Chair, Iman Malik Mujahid often asked us during the Parliament!!

In case you want more info, about 100 programs (including plenaries and excellent programs) were streamed, and they are available online for your listening and visual pleasure at www.ParliamentofReligions.org.  You can also become a member there!    A new decision announced at end --- instead of waiting 5 years for another Parliament gathering, they've decided to hold the next one in TWO years!   Place still to be determined.

Meanwhile hope you are looking forward to happy holidays coming up.  We spent Thanksgiving in LA with our son and his girlfriend and met her family for the first time.  We're waiting to hear what will transpire in that arena next!!!   I expect our annual Christmas letter (if I ever get round to writing it) will include much about the Parliament, as above.  So please consider this our "early" holiday greeting!

Love and blessings to you both,
Jill and Luigi