[Oe List ...] Hummm that was not a comedy Gordon!

Evelyn Philbrook via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Sep 5 08:03:06 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

When Gordon went to what was our local Netflicks shop here in Taiwan to
get a cassette tape to entertain us, he would ask... what kind of video
would you like? Invariably someone would say, "comedy" and invariably we
would not get a comedy, may be a drama, an action, or I am sure
something very entertaining, but not a comedy at all. Always a reality
check... and so it goes Gordon and Roxanna... not a comedy, however, it
did come as a mystery!

What do I remember when I came to Taiwan to find a job and see if we
could all live in Taipei...I needed to find a job...and we would be here
for three-five years?....

I remember the first week I was in Taipei in 1991, April. Gordon was
there and I hear the strange whine and buzz sound in the morning of what
I found out was the internet connection. We had that sound in Manila,
and KL too, but not so regularly heard each day at the same time marking
the day. There was the faint smell of sweet pipe smoke lingering on
everything in your office. There was later to be a scale which, when you
join weight watchers, helps you figure out how much you can eat, which I
still have today. Peter Hu would rise every morning and go to the roof
and do his exercises like a military man, even though he was a a former
journalist and knew who most all of the people in town were, or could
find out and spoke clear English. He ate raw vegetables he cut and
placed in a bag in the frig that he ate each morning. There was an
English radiocast on ICRT (International Community Radio Transmission?),
"Shape the Future" or something, where Gordon's melodious voice could be
heard daily with a quote for the day and a reflection on how business
and leadership could relate to what was happening in the world and in
their lives. There were books written by our famous author in residence,
who would often on the street be asked for an autograph in a Chinese
translated book, or the Computer Club, or American Chamber of Commerce, ...

Larry came to a Global ICA conference in 1990 to Taiwan.  It was held at
the International Jiantan Youth Hostel across the street from the Grand
Hotel and the multitude of morning exercising marshall artists on the
mountain near the bridge and river. After that, Larry and Evelyn and
Dick and Gail came to Taiwan in 1991... who knew how this set up a
climate of new adventures...remember the 20th Anniversary of ICA video
you created before you left? Larry says he has a copy on his computer?
Must be on backpup.

Thank you Gordon and thank you Roxanna.

A fleeting memory of things gone by which are still emerging...

That summer I got two jobs teaching English at ELSI and another at a
local bushiban...then went to TAS and got a job so I could go home for
summer and then return in August from USA in 1991. Now I am with ICA
again since 2006! We have been in Taiwan for 24 years.

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook
Institute of Cultural Affairs: Taiwan

--
Facilitator and Social Artist