[Oe List ...] A Very Brief Collegium

Myung-Hee Hur via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 4 09:23:52 PDT 2015

Dear Gordon,
I have very fond memories of you and Roxana. You are an exemplar and a fine human-being.
You were always courteous and kind to me when I frequented the Taipei House for fundraising.
In 1983 during my usual visit to the Taipei House,  Roxana asked me if I could treat you all to a restaurant. Somehow you knew that the people in Development had more money than usual. Yes, I always had more money than my monthly stipend while I was on fundraising. I also got to keep that money too.
The place you wanted to go was McDonald's (the fast-food restaurant).  McDonald's had  just opened its first store in Taipei. There was a long line at the restaurant with people waiting to get in. We waited quite a while. However, the long wait was worthwhile. I will never forget the look of contentment on your face, as you relished your hamburger at McDonald's.
Joe says that you are one of the few fellow pipe men that he knows. Are you still getting your tobacco from that Minnesota pipe shop? He also says you were the only one to appreciate it when he would recite a verse by Robert Herrick. Joe is currently a full-time faculty member of English at Sacred Heart University. His favorite authors to teach are Shakespeare and Dante. He still quotes Robert Herrick, and still smokes a pipe.  And I am still traveling to Hong Kong on business.                 I thank you for being an exemplary presence in my life.
You are not alone.
Fondly,Myung-Hee (and Joe too)

Sent from my iPad