[Oe List ...] Gordon's Witness

Wilson Priscilla H via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 4 08:19:46 PDT 2015

Gordon,
Thank you for your thoughtful witness about your health and end of life journey. At this age many of us are aware of the “end of life” station approaching. Perhaps you are more fortunate than some of us in having an idea of what path you are on. But your witness of the love, wisdom and strength of the community we have been privileged to know and love is the gift many of us experience.

I read Richard Rohr’s columns each morning…this Franciscan priest has been helpful on my journey. I thought of you, Gordon as I read his column this morning. He was quoting James Finley’s description of Buddha’s Eightfold Path—
"The first two steps of the Eightfold Path are Right Vision and Right Thinking ("right" meaning effective in evoking happiness and inner peace). These two are associated with the notion of wisdom. They help us ground ourselves in this wisdom of the Eightfold Path.
The next four of the eight steps are the paths of the moral precepts. Do not confuse this with being "moralistic." The intuition of the Buddha is that one will not come to this inner peace unless one grounds one's life in an inflowing and outflowing love. This is the core of what it means to be moral. Love is the outflowing way that we must relate to everything [read "God"] and the outflowing way we must relate to each individual person. ["On these two commandments hang the entire Law and the Prophets as well," says Jesus (Matthew 22:40).]”

Thank you for all we have learned and enjoyed in knowing you and Roxana through so many years.
I send peace, love and courage your way…may this journey be a deepening of your care.
Priscilla

Wilson, Priscilla H
pris at teamtechpress.com
www.teamtechpress.com