[Oe List ...] Who Could Have Known . . .?

W. J. via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Oct 25 20:37:46 PDT 2015

Gordon and colleagues,Thank you profoundly for the gift of honoring the depth of our experience of this moment.I'm far from a good source of insight on 'ordinary' and 'extraordinary' time, but I recall that the liturgical calendar has two long stretches of 'ordinary time', interrupted by the celebration of the 'extraordinary' events that shape our common memory of the invasion of Spirit into our ordinary consciousness: Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter.In experiencing 'extraordinary time,' we are deeply marked by the profound experience of incarnation, missional expenditure, letting go, and transformation.Borrowing from Tillich's discussion of kairos:
Paul speaks of kairos to describe the feeling that the time was ripe, mature, prepared. It is a Greek word which, again, witnesses to the richness of the Greek language and the poverty of modern languages in comparison with it. We have only the one word "time." The Greeks had two words: chronos (still used in "chronology," "chronometer," etc.): it is clock time, time which is measured. Then there is the word kairos, which is not the quantitative time of the watch, but is the qualitative time of the occasion: the "right" time. "It is not yet kairos," the hour; the hour has not yet come. (Cf.. in the Gospel stories. . ..) There are things in which the right time, the kairos, has not yet come. Kairos is the time which indicates that something has happened which makes an action possible or impossible. We all have in our lives moments in which we feel that now is the right time for something: now I am mature enough for this, now everything around me is prepared for this, now I can make the decision, etc: this is kairos. In this sense Paul and the early Church spoke of the "right time," for the coming of the Christ. The early Church, and Paul to a certain extent, tried to show why this time in which the Christ appeared was the right time, why it is the providential constellation of factors which makes His appearance possible.
 I feel so privileged to witness this moment of transparency with all of you. Ordinary consciousness gets interrupted by the experience of kairos. 'Extraordinary time' is both compressed by our awareness of our mortality and expanded by our experience of effulgence (to borrow JWM's classic term).It's something like the artistry of a master glassblower who breathes Spirit into the white-hot intensity of the living moment to create a unique form.Marshall Jones

WE COME from a dark abyss, we end in a dark abyss, and we call the luminous interval life.--Nikos Kazantzakis