[Oe List ...] FW: Death of Vivan Paul

Jonathan Barker via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat May 23 10:14:48 PDT 2015

From: Jonathan Barker [mailto:jkjmbarker at bigpond.com]
Sent: Saturday, 23 May 2015 7:58 PM
To: 'Jack Gilles'; 'Patricia Tuecke'
Cc: 'Marie Paul'
Subject: RE: [Oe List ...] Death of Vivan Paul

We have very fond and abiding memories of Vivian.

We remember him as an imaginative pedagogue, dependable colleague, a refuter
of nonsense and jovial story teller. He was inspired by the larger vision,
but willingly paid attention to the often overlooked  practicalities. He was
tolerant of struggling colleagues, but was nobody's fool and at times could
be enraged at perceived injustices. Despite the rhetoric of the time, he was
a dear and loyal friend and we are privileged to have known him. We also
knew Indian  better because of him.

As we recall, it was John and Robyn Hutchinson, Priors of the Hyderabad
House (we called them Urban Ashrams at the time) who particularly encouraged
Vivian and two other notable teachers at a prestigious Catholic school and
their families to take the bold step of participating in the programs of
EI/ICA. And it was the ITI in Bombay in 1973 (Bob Fishel was the Dean) which
so excited Vivian to become more fully involved in the Movement/Order.

Yes, his military training may have deeply shaped him outwardly - but his
inner shelf was marked by forbearance and gentleness.

We were delighted to meet Vivian again in 1995 at the Kemper Building when
he took us to his favourite Indian restaurant and reminded us that he had
lost none of his wit and sharpness of mind.

Farewell Vivian!

Jonathan and Janeen Barker