[Oe List ...] Forgiveness

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Jun 22 19:08:39 PDT 2015

For: what was before
Give: to transfer, to let go of

So when I say to forgive is to restore the state of wholeness that is always the case for everyone, the separateness arising from my unwillingness to be a self does not necessarily spring from an external action I took. In fact my actions in the world are always accompanied by an internal evaluation which influences my sense of whole or less than whole self.

I think in the kingdom of God, therefore, forgiveness has only to do with my relationship to the self I am called to be as child of God.

I can also be the opportunity for an other person to choose to be a Self grounded in the power that posits it. I can relate to every person I encounter with compassion for their state of being, whether they have trespassed against me or not. After all unless they tell me, or trespass against me in that encounter, how do I know their state?

In this world, in community, for the good of all, we need actions which demonstrate a turning aside for trespasses made. Sometimes the action of turning aside will be lifetime long. We do this not for vengeance, rather we require acts of repentance because we can't know the heart "for reals" of another. Therefore we attempt to figure out acts of repentance which will help restore this person to wholeness and compassion for their neighbor and self.

All the above is to say quite simply, forgiveness can be a spiritual discipline of allowing ourselves to realize we are always whole in God's eyes... No matter what others do to us, or no matter what we do to others.

May grace abound all the more
Don Bushman