[Oe List ...] Yangtze boat disaster

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Jun 4 04:25:18 PDT 2015

I was in Chengdu, Sichuan two years ago, then moseyed over to Chongqing by the Chiangjiang (Yangtze) famous for its riverboats and cruises.  I checked out the cost of sailing down the river from Chongqing to the mouth of the river near Shanghai.  I could not afford a toe dip on the water!

The 400-some elders age 50-70 on the cruise boat that just capsized off Nanjing would have been the type of cruise I would have joined.  There is something to be said about being poor, but there is nothing comforting about not being one of the casualties.

China retires its females at 50-55 and its males 55-60.  Part of the reason I am no longer teaching at the University in Shenyang is that foreign teachers are also retired no later than 65.  Those numbers are in the process of review as life expectancy has risen in recent years.

Meanwhile, I head back to China for a month and then return to Saipan to start an English Immersion program for Chinese tourists.  I might have to teach at the local High School World geography and history to augment the income as the tyranny of the economic had reared its ugly head once more.

Those traveling this summer, stay safe.

j'aime la vie
yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today, participate! in all, celebrate!