[Oe List ...] Deciding the future; and Imaginal Ed "presence"

Marilyn Crocker via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Aug 31 13:09:14 PDT 2015

Hi Steve,

I’m guessing that the disappearance of the Decisional (if that is actually the case), is because in our wider culture, folks are not trained to journey (aka facilitate) conversations from the objective, to the reflective to the interpretive possibilities and then step back to invite possible next steps, decisions, the “so what’s”.  I see this capacity lack everywhere – in the mainstream media interviewers, educational leaders from local to national, church leaders on all levels, etc.  It’s not their fault – they’ve just not been trained/enlightened.

Re: your ruminations on “attitude” in Imaginal Education.  My recollection from the Summer ’66 Teacher’s Cadre and subsequent elaborations on those key understandings was that the imaginal educator decided to stand as a presence of the Word: all is Good; all of my past is Accepted; all that I am is Received; all of the future is OPEN and filled with Possibility.

That stance was grounded (in life the way it is), disciplined (chosen by me, over and over and over again); corporate (shared by a primal community whose support I can count on); and risk-averse/ sacrificial (willing by me to walk over the proverbial 1000 fathoms of jello without flinching to do what is needed for the larger good).

At the end of Summer ’66 so many of us dispersed to “explode” in our curriculum (as we talked about it then) images of the many dimensions of the Word, noted above.

Some went to Marshall High, some to Leif Erikson Elementary, some like Jim Campbell and Rob and I to universities in PA and NH, many to other comparable places.  And we committed, upon being sent out “to be the presence.”  I’m not sure where the category of “attitude” crept in, but “presence” is what I have seen over the years in the life and work of my alums from Summer ’66;  Kaye Ent Lush, Marilyn Miller Oyler, Ann Harrison Avery, Gordon Harper, Nancy Simms, Jim Campbell, Jeff ____(RC priest from 5th City); Jerry _____; Judi Weigel (Jim’s sister, not his wife); Robertson Work; Betsy ______ ; Marilyn Miller Crocker (me) and many others that my memory eludes.

So, these are my two cents re: the foundations, as I experienced them in Summer ’66, of the Imaginal Education Teachers Academy, taught by the mentors who shaped many of our lives/values/life understanding for decades thereafter: Donna McCleskey (Lidona Wagner); Pat Scott (d.); and Sue Burdick. May these mentors be recognized and celebrated by our whole Order for ever and ever.

Grace and peace,

Marilyn Crocker