[Oe List ...] 9/26/2014: GreenRise/Chicago; "NEW REVISED" EXPANDED SUMMARY UPDATES: PRAYERS FOR FERGUSON

Ellie Stock via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 26 12:28:31 PDT 2014

Dear OE/ICA  Colleagues,

Greetings from St. Louis!

Before continuing with a Ferguson Update, just a brief but enthusiastic word about GreenRise...

Just returned from Uptown, Chicago where we attended the GreenRise celebration of the launching of the new solar panel installation on the roof of the eighth and third floors--483 panels, part of the cost covered by a grant.  Just a plug:  ICA colleagues and others are welcome/invited to contribute toward helping to cover the rest of the cost--$450 donation per panel.  Please consider being part of this great sustainability adventure of caring for this earth, our home..  The celebration included presentations (by notables from Chicago, Seva, Leslie Flowers, and Terry Bergdall [take time to check this out if it is put on the website], and an Uptown Alderman), share fair with Uptown/other groups represented, local senior band, songs by the Fifth City Preschool, tours of the building (including work of the Archives Team meeting this week), and the completed painting of the new large outside building wall sign:  "ICA GreenRise Uptown Learning Laboratory" (designed by Paul Noah).  Thanks, and great job everyone!

Now back to Ferguson:

TONIGHT, , Friday, 9/26, 8:00pm EST/7:00pm Central:  Check out Gwen Ifill's PBS Washington Week which instead will focus on "America After Ferguson:

America After Ferguson

This PBS town hall meeting, moderated by PBS NEWSHOUR co-anchor and managing editor Gwen Ifill, will explore the many issues brought into public discourse in the wake of Michael Brown’s death in Ferguson, Missouri. The program will include national leaders and prominent thinkers in the areas of law enforcement, race and civil rights, as well as government officials, faith leaders and youth. Tune in Friday, September 26 at 7:00 pm. on Nine PBS.

 See more information -- click here

Regarding Ferguson--lots bubbling up re meetings of various groups and alliances, attempted reforms, etc.  "Town Meetings" have been held in each ward, but they are not the creative types of meetings we used to do.  Protestors, many from the "Hands Up and Don't Shoot" coalition of forty-five plus groups have moved to main street (South Florissant), Old Ferguson where there are many locally-owned restaurants, the fire and police departments, Farmer's Market, grocery store and other businesses.  They still occasionally show up in Clayton, also, the seat of the county government, and Cardinals games.  Demands include more police accountability and removal of the county prosecutor who is working with the Grand Jury.  The Black community feels he is biased because his police officer father was killed by a black man.  Some demands have also included the resignation of the police chief and arrest/indictment of the officer who shot Michael Brown.

A new community center opened last Saturday with an open house celebration--well attended by blacks and whites.  Includes state of the art weight room equipment with flat screen TVs.

Under the surface is the fear of what will happen if the Grand Jury does not indict the officer.  Most feel he will not be indicted.  First responders are already preparing for more rioting and looting.

Carleton wrote an article for his September column (since 4/2012) in the monthly Ferguson Times on racism/prejudice entitled "Dismantling Racism, Healing Community".  A few days after the paper was published, the editor sent him a two-sentence terse email that she would no longer print his column.  Since then, many folks in the Ferguson area who read his column or article have written to the editor, but she isn't changing her mind.  She doesn't want any "opinions" in her paper.  The column is at the very end of the update below.

Below is the expanded update summary I started when Michael Brown was killed.  Many feel that the reaction and following disruption is not simply about his death but is the explosion of a new civil rights movement, a new revolution.  We shall see...  I have added some info to the earlier updates and then continued the journal.  By now it is very long, but you might find something of interest--otherwise just delete.

As we have entered autumn, I hope this will be a season of maturing and ripening for the Ferguson and a very troubled world, that a harvest of wholeness, reawakening the awe of life, justice, healing and peace for the earth and all creation might be reaped.

Grapes and peas~
Ellie

"NEW REVISED" EXPANDED SUMMARY UPDATES: PRAYERS FOR FERGUSON/DELLWOOD, Saturday, August 9, continuing . . .

Greetings from Ferguson/Dellwood (St. Louis, MO) ~

Saturday, August 9, 2014.  Ferguson/Dellwood (St. Louis, MO).  St. Louis is celebrating its 250th birthday this year, with three-tiered replicas of birthday cakes, each uniquely painted and decorated, distributed throughout the region. The St. Louis area, has been experiencing cooler than usual temperatures.  Global news includes ongoing conflict in Iraq, Syria, Afganistan, Ukraine (including Malaysian AL shot down 7/17/14 in the Ukraine, probably by pro Russian rebels), and countries in Africa experiencing an Ebola epidemic crisis in addition to other conflicst.  Western U.S. is consumed with drought and wild fires, and mid/east U.S. inundated by rains and floods.  The immigration crisis continues as thousands of youth are illegally crossing the southern border into the U.S. Pres. Obama decided to send advisory troops back into Iraq to stop the ISIS movement from taking over Iraq. Local politics just moved through an August election where African American County head Tom Dooley lost in a primary to Councilman Stenger. No new evidence of where another Malaysian AL disappeared almost six months ago, perhaps somewhere off the coast of Australia. Environmentally, almost daily there is some news article or media report about the climate change/global warming crisis which is manifesting itself in so many ways. The 350.org longest Climate Change March is making its way across the country and the lwhat is anticipated as being the largest People's Climate March is  being held in New York City September 26.  People have been feeling under assault by all the global and national news and very unsettled.  On the lighter side, an ice bucket challenge to raise money for ALS research/treatment has been spreading across the country. In the midst of this, news also broadcast the presence of a Super Moon, to be rising from the horizon Sunday evening.  By Saturday evening, the almost full moon already appeared extra large.  The Cardinals have been bouncing between 2nd and 3rd place in the Central division of the National League.

Later Saturday evening, we began hearing reports on TV about a shooting in Ferguson.  A white Ferguson police officer fatally shot Michael Brown, an unarmed eighteen-year-old African American, on Canfield Drive which goes through the Canfield Apartment complex.  Crowds began to gather around the area and continued growing and milling throughout the night, into Sunday.

Background: Ferguson is an old suburb with a population of about 21,000 with both a town center and shopping strips farther out.  It is the next ring out from the city of St. Louis.  There are tree-lined streets with century homes closer to the town center as well as newer modern houses, condos, and apartment complexes.  In 2000, two years after we moved in the area, the demographic make up was half white and half black.  Today, 67% of the population is black, 33% white.  Many whites "fled" to the western suburbs when the black population moved from St. Louis city north because other areas of St. Louis were "red-lined" by real estate agencies and blacks were not able to purchase homes and live in those areas. Presently, schools servicing the residents of this area are about 98% black because older residents remaining in the area no longer have children or grandchildren attending or younger families send their children to private schools.  The Canfield Apartment Complex on Canfield Drive in the southeast corner of Ferguson, where Michael Brown was shot, was annexed as part of Ferguson and has, over the years as this neighborhood has become predominately African American with higher rates of unemployment and crime and sometimes not even perceived to be part of Ferguson.

Residents, officials and businesses have worked hard over the years to make it a great inter-racial place to live.  The previous mayor had block meetings throughout the city that were attended by blacks and whites.  However, the black community has been underrepresented in the leadership of the community.  Of 50 Ferguson police officers, 3 are black.  The Council is white, as is the Mayor (whom we feel has been doing a good job).  The school board had only one African American.  The former superintendent was African-American, but he was fired for "personnel reasons" never disclosed to the public, even after a large community outcry and large public meetings.  After he left, there was more interest by the black community in getting involved in changing the racial representation on the school board, and several black candidates ran.  Two were elected, but the majority is still white.

Ferguson is where our ministerial alliance is based, where we have our Eco Team.  it is the location of an award-winning Farmer's Market and Earthdance organic apprentice training farm with whom we work and where we volunteer.  It is also the location of our neighborhood schools, a community college, our post office, bank and other businesses/restaurants we go to.  Three years after we retired as Co-Pastors from Northminster Church in Dellwood (which is surrounded on three sides by Ferguson) it merged with First Presbyterian Church of Ferguson.

Sunday, August 10.  By now you have been inundated by local/national//print/TV/internet media that have been permeated by the news about the black teenager who was shot and killed by a white Ferguson police officer (name not yet released) on Saturday.

Sunday morning, before going to church, I had a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach, the same feeling I had right after 9/11.

Sunday afternoon, we returned from doing an Earth Care Congregation presentation at St Charles PC (west of St Louis) to learn there was a prayer vigil in Ferguson regarding  the shooting. We were not aware (neither was our ministerial alliance) that a vigil had been planned (by outside groups), and it ended about the time we returned home.  That evening, another peaceful vigil was held which we did not attend.  Other segments of the crowd milling around the street turned violent--vandalizing and looting businesses in Ferguson, torching and destroying a Quicktrip gas station, then moving north on W. Florissant to Dellwood (where we live--Dellwood is surrounded on three sides by Ferguson), looting businesses a block and across the street from our former church's building and three blocks from our home.  Zisser's Tire and Auto Dealer, also completely looted, was where we used to have our cars serviced before we got our Prius and know the owners.  The police/fire department/municipal computers were hacked and sabotaged, and all the police and elected leaders have received death threats.

Sunday night we heard the wailing of sirens outside, and the police helicopter hovering overhead, under the gaze of the super moon.  We watched it all (all the looting) unfold on live TV coverage until after midnight.  I woke up Monday before 6am to the sound of a news media helicopter.

News also broke that beloved comedian and actor Robin Williams committed suicide.

Monday, August 11:  During the day, there was a peaceful march up and down one of the main streets in front of the police headquarters.  That evening Carleton attended an NAACP community meeting which was peaceful and where the leaders called for a peaceful resolution but a just resolution to this situation.  Later in the evening there were other confrontations between the police and protestors, but no major looting as during Sunday night.  There was some copycat looting elsewhere in the larger area.  There was another meeting at Wellspring, where a well-known African Ameican Methodist leader spoke.  Jesse Jackson was also present.   Friends of ours, a Methodist  Clergy couple, attended after having dinner with us.

Tuesday, August 12: There were two community meetings Tuesday night, sponsored by black leaders--a little juggling of power control in the black community. The first one planned was a strategy session convened by a city-wide black clergy coalition, attended by the Mayor of Ferguson, the Police Chief, the Mayor of St Louis, and Governor Nixon.  A second competing one was convened by Tommie Pierson, a local black pastor of Greater St. Mark's Missionary Baptist Church, who also happens to be a state representative.  This more emotional rally was attended by Al Sharpton, Michael Brown's family and their lawyer, and other clergy and community reps.   We didn't attend either meeting as we had leadership responsibilities for another meeting held at the same time. We saw reports of both meetings on TV,.

[As an aside, one of the issues/concerns we listed on our PIFs when we came to Northminster was the issue of racism and economic inequity.  Northminster had been on the front of the civil rights movement back in the 1960s.  The previous pastor had marched in Selma and had been part of the leadership bringing civil rights issues to the fore in the St Louis region.  He died a couple weeks ago three days after he fell and hit his head walking into church.  He would have been heartbroken to see all of this erupting.  We will be participating in his memorial service 8/22]

In the last three years Ferguson has survived the destruction of two tornadoes and the firing of a beloved African American school superintendent.  It will take a while to heal, rebuild trust, and move through this, but we trust the resurrection presence of God's justice and new life in our midst, and that is our hope.

While attention on the media has focused on the confrontations between groups of protestors and armored police, here is what is not making the news:

-interracial groups of volunteers going to businesses along West Florissant Road to help them clean up;
-many (not all) businesses, that were looted, determined to stay and opening up the next day, boarded windows with big signs that say "we're OPEN";
-peaceful prayer vigils and marches springing up all over;
-many more meetings, vigils, meetings, services, etc. being planned by many different groups to address the situation at many levels;
-people stopping by looted businesses to encourage them and offer support

We won't know the whole story for quite a while as many circulating stories and rumors from many sides are contradictory, and the media is picking up on the most inflammatory.  I don't know that anyone will be pleased with a final outcome of the judicial procedure.

Wednesday, August 13:  We attended a special meeting of the Ferguson Ministerial Alliance held at First Presbyterian Church, Ferguson.  We heard reports from clergy and others who attended the two meetings held Tuesday night.  The Alliance started networking with other Alliances and members were invited to participate in a vigil the next day.  A prayer would be written that all the churches in Ferguson would use the next Sunday.  Updates re other events and responses would be sent out to everyone.

West Florissant Avenue was blocked off again Wednesday night, due to protesters in the street which ended in a confrontation with police/tear gas when the protestors wouldn't disperse.  Helicopters continued to hover over the area until after we went to bed at night.  Reporters and St Louis alderman French were arrested for no reason.

We continue to take our daily morning walks through the back streets of Dellwood (where we live--Dellwood is surrounded on three sides by Ferguson) and Ferguson and talk with black neighbors and residents.  All are against the violence but all feel the officer should be charged.  Some (but not all) of the protesting crowd is thinking with their feet and responding from emotion and personal experience of previous harassment by the police.  Others are praying calmly but earnestly with their feet. The protests will continue for a while.

Thursday, August 14, one peaceful march went through the fire department prior to a press conference given by the police chief.  Senator Claire McCaskill was also in the neighborhood and responded to reporters after the press conference, expressing the hope that the militarization of the police response would decrease.  Gov. Nixon was back in town, put the highway patrol , led by African American Captain Johnson, in charge of the crowd/riot control, met with a number of community groups and put in place a different plan for dealing with the protestors, especially during the evenings when crowds were gathering around the burned out QT station.  That seemed to work better--police interacting with the crowds instead of threatening them.

Thursday evening a peaceful march (attended by some members of the Ministerial Alliance), consisting of church and other community groups was marching up and down West Florissant Road.  I would guess maybe 300 or more people were involved.  We drove by them as we were on our way to another unrelated event.  The road was open but traffic slow due to people gathering.  When we returned at 11pm that same evening, crowds were still gathering and marching on the street.

Marches and vigils were held in NYC, Chicago, Kansas City and other cities.  Ferguson covered in global news.

Friday August 15:  This morning, the Ferguson police chief announced the name of the police officer, Darren Wilson.  Unfortunately, he also gave info re a "strong arm" robbery (stealing cigars) that Michael Brown participated in at the Ferguson Meat Market and Liquor Store before the police officer stopped him in the street--which was not related to the robbery.  That announcement plus still shots and video of the robbery are seen by the black community as a diversion by the police department to take the attention away from the killing of the teen and evidence in defense of the officer.  Other evidence, such as the number of bullets, was not released.  The selected and seemingly biased information released escalated the tension after it had quieted the night before.

Name speakers, including Jesse Jackson spoke at a Methodist church in Ferguson tonight.  We decided not to go.  Crowds were still gathering and protesting on West Florissant--the main street where the "action" is occurring.  Al Sharpton returned for another rally Sunday.

Saturday, August 16:  At noon, a week from the day/time Michael Brown was shot, we went to the prayer vigil organized by local ministerial groups.  It started at the site on Canfield Drive, the street where Michael Brown was killed.  It is the main, but not big, road in a low-income apartment complex. To our surprise, Jesse Jackson was there.  He was a much more subdued Jesse and led two very helpful prayers. Then pastors were asked to fan out and meet with/listen to residents on the street and around the apartment complex which we did for a while, including about a dozen bikers who had noisily made an entrance and then stopped during the vigil.  Some were African American veterans who had served in Afganistan or Iraq..  Then, we started walking toward West Florissant, turning on West Florissant and walking north past the burned out QuickTrip and businesses that had been looted, into Dellwood up to Chambers and West Florissant (not quite a mile) The walk turned right and headed east on Chambers--we had to leave and walked back home.  There were hundreds involved, black and white, local, regional and out of town folk.  Peaceful but passionate:  "No peace, no justice; know peace, know justice."   An group of African American women, accompanied by a drum, sang verses of "This Little Light of Mine".  I sang with them, remember the witness of a Methodist pastor colleague in Texas, who, having worked all his life addressing racism and other issues of justice, just a few weeks ago, self-immolated as a protest against racism in his state and the nation.  May his sacrifice not be in vain.

When we experienced storms today, I was thinking G-O-D, the Mysterious, pulsing presence in and through all life, is also crying for and with Ferguson, expressing anger through thunder and lightning but also bringing compassion, cleansing, healing and new growth through much needed rain...

After cleanup from some looting Friday night, people gathered on West Florissant all day, despite rain much of the day, most dispersing by the newly-established midnight curfew.  However there were those who were non-compliant, so the highway patrol (now in charge of crowd control) used tear gas to disperse some and arrested others.  One person was shot--not by police.  No looting Saturday night.

The helicopters stopped flying over but the whirling and swirling of competing multi-levels of law enforcement and governments trying to deal with this situation still hover over the situation.

Sunday, August 17: By morning, the street was calm when we drove through on our way to church.  By the time we returned from church (almost 3pm), traffic was clogging the street--don't know if there was another march or people just rubbernecking as they drive by the protesters gathered there.  We turned off and took the back road home.

Sunday, we and part of the Earth Care Team led a service, that we had been preparing for weeks, at Second Presbyterian Church (Central West End, St Louis)--related to God's creation--originally to be held outside in Tower Grove Park, but due to the rain, we held it around tables in the fellowship hall, with an indoor picnic afterwards.  The theme of the service was "The Garden Extraordinaire" in three parts:  "Experiencing the Extraordinary (Awe and Wonder) in the Midst of the Ordinary", "The Groaning of Creation", and "Tending the Garden". Beginning with a context for the service and during "The Groaning of Creation" and "Tending the Garden"  and intercessory prayers, we were able to reflect/share around the tables the issues re caring for God's creation and also the Ferguson situation and write down some next possible steps to support Ferguson and address racism.  During the offertory, I sang a song I wrote "Let the Earth Breathe".  The last lines are timely for both creation and civil unrest:

Let oceans race, let new wave pace,
ancient tides washing ashore cosmic grace,
Let rhythms of peace still conflict's pace,
emerging, connecting in trust's healing place,
bold creatures revealing hope's eternal face,
beloving, one dwelling in Earth's sacred space.

Gov. Nixon was on Meet the Press this morning, talking about Ferguson.  We didn't see it as we had already left for church. Sunday afternoon we watched the Al Sharpton rally held in a packed church where Michael Brown's parents, their lawyer, Jesse Jackson, Capt. Johnson (Highway patrol officer in charge of crowd control) were present.  In the evening, before curfew, the turbulence returned.  Again, on TV, we watched until after midnight reporters making the announcement about a preliminary autopsy report (at least six shots filed), the protestors, the looters, and the armored police and trucks, all maneuvering for control of West Florissant Road.  As the crowd was dispersed with tear gas, protestors and looters moved north on West Florissant into Dellwood, three blocks from our house.  We heard gunshots from our house.  The now-familiar helicopter returned, hovering noisily overhead with its long searchlight focused on West Florissant--not a comforting lullaby.

Monday, August 18:  Dawn shed light on the evening's destruction.  Some local news channel continue to give nonstop coverage of the situation, often pre-empting national news or other programs.  The store that had been robbed by Michael Brown, was completely looted, as well as other stores (some for the second time), plus six in Dellwood, and one in unincorporated area on Chambers next to Dellwod.  Schools' starting date was postponed again.  Gov. Nixon declared a State of Emergency in the Ferguson area the The National Guard was brought on site to guard the police staging area at Buzz Westfall Shopping Plaza, a few blocks south of Ferguson on West Florissant in Jennings,    A press conference was held with more details about the autopsy--six shots, two to the head--conflicting conclusions being used from these preliminary results of the autopsy.  More comments from Gov. Nixon, President Obama who cut short his vacation to deal with Iraq and Ferguson.  Protests in downtown St. Louis.  The residents, feeling unsettled, are disgusted with the violence that has destroyed much, disrupted the daily work and patterns of the community, threatened food stores accessible by a walking community, and cancelled buses that get people to work.  They don't want the violent elements of the protestors to be tolerated.   A peaceful protest to end at sundown is being called for this evening.  Meetings of collaborating groups continue to evolve. Reporters are ubiquitous.  A reporter from the Presbyterian News Service emailed to set up a time to talk.

Carleton writes a regular column ("Reverend Reflections, Living in These Wild and Wonderful Times") for the Ferguson Times, an independent Ferguson newspaper.  He submitted his column for September's issue on the 8/15 deadline.  The title of the article was "Healing Community, Addressing Racism".  This morning he received an email from the editor asking him to use this article later and to write another one for this issue.  She said she's received too much communication about this situation by people thinking the newspaper is published by the Ferguson government.  (The paper really just wants to be a nice little community newsletter with no edge issues. Carleton's articles probe the edge of issues, sometimes eliciting responses.  One time the editor put a disclaimer at the bottom of his article:  "This article does reflect the opinion of the Ferguson Times.")  This article and the substitute one he was asked to write are at the end of this summary.

And so the situation continues to unfold, minute by minute.  This evening a police car with flashing lights just flew down our dead end street.  Preliminary TV reports indicated a calmer night with National Guard manning the police control center at the Buzz Westfall Shopping Center so the state highway patrol can do crowd control.  Gov. Nixon lifted the curfew since the National Guard was there and it didn't work anyway.  Protestors will no longer be allowed to protest around the burned out QuickTrip location--a fence now surrounds it.  Also, protestors will be confined to a 1/2 mile area on the street.  Peaceful protests continued, one led by rapper Nelly, We hope tonight is calmer.  The community hopes so.  Two helicopters fly overhead.

Tuesday, August 19:  This morning at 3:53 am we were awakened by a piercing siren and flashing lights that seemed to be very close.  I got out of bed and peaked through the window to discover, under a waning mood, a tan SUV stopped in the street in front of our peace pole mailbox at the end of our driveway that leads to our garage with an Earth Flag flying above the door.  Behind the tan SUV were two police SUVs, a police patrol car, and an unmarked car, all lights flashing.  Three men from the SUV were lying on the ground on our front yard by the street while police inspected the car.  Eventually, one man was put into the backseat of one of the police SUVs, the other two were put back into the stopped tan SUV.  After a while all three men were brought outside on the street by their car and frisked.  The police talked with one of them more extensively than the others.  An officer handed that man a long strip of paper that looked like perhaps a police car computer print-out of a police report, but I don't really know.  With the paper in his hand, this person walked down the street past the police cars and then returned, talking with the police again.  By this time our neighbor across the street was out observing the situation and talking with one of the police officers.  I'll learn what exactly happened later today.  About fifty minutes after all this started, the men got back into their tan SUV and left, two remaining police cars leaving after them.  I turned on the TV, but not much news about what was happening on West Florissant.  After that, I tried but couldn't get back to sleep.

[We learned afterwards from our neighbor that the car was travelling from the west on Chambers Rd, probably headed toward West Florissant.  When they saw the police, they ducked into our street--not a good move, as it is a dead end.  The police, being suspicious, followed and pulled them over.  They said they were out to get cigarettes. They were drunk.  I guess one of them wasn't, because someone drove them off in their tan SUV, otherwise the car would have been impounded.]

At 6am I turned on the TV to learn that calm did not prevail.  Once again large headlines and picture of the night's violence. Community leaders, including a Bishop Robinson, were on West Florissant with the police trying to calm a crowd (smaller than the previous night) of protestors.  In spite of that, violence erupted.  Bottles and rocks were thrown at police, a couple of people were shot (not by police), an officer injured, 30+ arrests were made, and, once again, tear gas was used to disperse the protesters when they wouldn't leave.  Large rocks were taken from a landscaping store and placed in the middle of the road, but the police armored vehicles were able to drive over them.  A porta john was dragged from the side of the road into the middle of the road.  Common opinion is that most of those causing the most trouble and violence are criminal elements, not from Ferguson or even St. Louis.  Ferguson was still the headliner on national news and the buzz topic of 24/7 media.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is coming to town Wednesday.  Human rights observers are present as are the New Black Panthers who are trying to act as a buffer between the protesters and police, and between looters and businesses. Also in town are members of The Nation of Islam and the Revolutionary Communist Party and Tibetan monks. More clergy meetings are scheduled for this week.  The "I Love Ferguson"  Group is giving out free "I Love Ferguson" signs and T shirts the next three days and will be hosting a community meeting Thursday night at the Savoy to look at next steps to reclaim Ferguson from the media images, determined not to be defined by this turmoil and negative images. More national figures--political and entertainment--are showing up here.  I expect President Obama to show up one of these days...  Michael Brown's parents were interviewed on the Today Show.  Various video clips of Michael Brown's body lying in the middle of Canfield Drive immediately after the shooting are surfacing.  For at least the tenth straight morning, the front page of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is filled with large headlines and a huge picture of the previous evening's chaos.  Schools have postponed classed until Monday, August 25.  Forty FBI Agents are in town canvassing the residents around Canfield Drive to get more witness information about the shooting.  More shops seem to be boarded up, for protection, not always because they were looted.  Armies of residents are out on the street every morning cleaning up garbage and tear gas canisters on West Florissant Road and surrounding areas.  People from all over the city are bringing food for the food pantry at St Stephen's because the store that usually supplies the food is closed due to the riots.  People are also bringing in water, food, supplies for police officers and protesters.  Small groups are also demonstrating in defense of Officer Wilson.

The multiple police forces and first responders are often working non stop, away from families who worry about them, sometimes with little rest.  They are trying their best to address, without intensifying, the situation--to strike a balance between allowing the protesters space to express themselves while, at the same time, establishing order and keeping the community and property safe by clamping down on those who seek violence and disorder, not peace.

The tentacles of this Ferguson situation are extending to communities across the nation and globe.  We continue to hope that something good will emerge from all of this; however, ultimately that will happen only when we address the underlying contradiction of racism and white privilege that is part of the fabric of most communities and of our economic, political, and cultural system at large.  Right now, we are safe here, but true security and resilient, thriving communities are only sustainable when all can have representational access to and participation in the bounty of creation's gifts and processes that are the essence of life and civilization on this planet Earth.

We'll see what today brings...hoping that tempers don't continue to rise with the week's rising temperatures and humidity.  A funeral service for Michael Brown has been scheduled for Monday, August 25, with national leadership.  A place large enough to hold the people and specific time are still to be announced.

Some protests were held in Clayton, the seat of St. Louis County Government to be a presence as the Grand Jury convenes and also to ask for City Prosecutor Bob McCullcoch to recuse himself as they feel he has a biased position in the case.  In the city, a white police officer shot a knife wielding black man, 23, who had just robbed a
store twice.

During these days, I have been sending out bits and pieces of this update to folks who call or email, wondering what is going on here.  Today, I spent most of the day adding a few more details I didn't have time to write on previous days and sending out the expanded summary version, to update folks, including presbytery and PC(USA) leadership.  Will talk with Presbyterian News Service Thursday.

The leadership of the Presbyterian Church (USA) has sent out a letter and prayer regarding Ferguson as has the presbytery of Giddings-Lovejoy and Synod.  Rev. Mike Trautman, Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Ferguson was interviewed by NPR.

Last night, I attended a Joining Hands Peru Partnership meeting in St. Charles during which there was a report of a recent trip to Peru. One of the things reported was that in some document Peru government  authorized the use of military force on protestors.  Following the meeting, we all had root beer floats, my first food of the day.  Very refreshing for a hot day.  As I was driving home, there was a program on NPR about Ferguson, the militarization the response there, and the militarization of police departments all over the country, mostly starting with the War Against Drugs program.  Millions of dollars of equipment from the U.S. military have been sold to local police departments.  In addition, SWAT Team tactics have increasingly been used to address non-violent situations.

When I returned home, I check the news. Protests started out more peacefully tonight.  We said goodnight to the roving helicopter as we turned out the lights and went to bed.

Wednesday, August 20:  Still, front page big headlines and picture, but this time they depicted a more peaceful night of protesting.  47 arrests, but no shooting or looting or tear gas or smoke bombs or rubber bullets or Molotov cocktails.  A police officer was removed after he pointed semi-automatic assault weapon at a protestor and threatened to (expletive) kill him.  This morning, local news coverage has quieted a bit, no longer non-stop coverage.

There are two services today at St Peter's UCC and the main Basilica.  There is also a call for an intensified protest and march in Clayton and in Ferguson. The Ministerial Alliance has been notified about all of them.  We are choosing which events/meetings/services to attend.  We could be run ragged and be of no use to anyone if we tried to run from gathering to gathering.  We see this situation as a marathon, not a sprint.  Today will be spent mostly at home until a meeting tonight related to environmental work.

I believe the calm is only temporary.  We are anticipating and bracing ourselves for a lot disruptions before we see light of justice and peace at the end of this dark tunnel.  Once again, the nation is also going through its long march and Dark Night of the Soul...  Each new stage of this process has the potential to provoke unrest and violence, whether it be the next bit of information that intentionally, unintentionally or irresponsibly dribbles out, an emotional or inflammatory statement, a decision by the Grand Jury.  Some are calling for non-violent civil disobedience.  Others are threatening stepped up violence if the officer is not charged.

Attorney General Holder arrived today as part of a civil rights investigation, speaking with officials and community groups.  The I Love Ferguson group announced it is looking for a larger place to meet Thursday night instead of the Savoy.  It was almost 4pm, time to eat my previously abandoned breakfast while I caught up on recent development.  Food and other essentials are being brought by churches to residents in the Canfield Apartment area.  One pastor proclaimed: "The good news is that the bad news is not the last news."  Churches and libraries are providing places for children's activities during the day until school opens.
The Ferguson Mayor is committed to increasing black representation on the Ferguson police force and equipping them with dash and vest cameras.

This afternoon Carleton received an email from the editor of the Ferguson Times, changed her mind, saying that she had received comments along the same line and therefore would publish the original article he submitted.  She had even been receiving death threats--not from the "conservative" but from the "liberal" elements of community.

Fewer protestors are out this evening--so far peaceful.  Instead of the arrival and whir of a helicopter announcing the evening protests on West Florissant it was the arrival of a brief storm--roll of thunder, flash of lightning, wind and rain.

This morning we observed a groundhog sleeping on our back deck, under which might be its home.  Later in they day we watched it grazing in our yard along side a rabbit and a squirrel.  They seem to be able to get along and share the bounty.  Why can't we?

Thursday, August 21:  Protests last night were more peaceful--only a few arrests.  Two people were demonstrating on behalf of the police officer.  Others, trying to take their signs were removed.

This morning we were interviewed by Bethany Daily of the Presbyterian News Service.
Later I picked up I Love Ferguson T shirts and a yard sign we'll use for our Farmer's Market Table.  I asked Brian Fletcher, former mayor and coordinator of this effort, if the black community has been encouraged to attend the gathering tonight or if it will be an all white event.  He said he has talked with black leaders and is trying hard to encourage them to come.  He said the pastor of Greater Grace would be there.

While schools are still out, teachers are receiving crisis training that will help them help the children process this issue when they return to classes.  The United Way set up a crisis help center in Dellwood Recreation Center.  State Highway Patrol Officers bought a basket ball hoop, put it up in one of the neighborhoods and played with the kids.  $183,000 has been raised for Officer Wilson.  MO Senator McCaskill and Representative Clay are calling for hearings in congress about the 1033 program which lets the military sell surplus equipment to police departments which has contributed greatly to the "militarization" of the police department, not only in Ferguson, but across the country.  There has been an outpouring of support from all over.  Gov. Nixon has called for the gradual withdrawal of the National Guard.

The Post-Dispatch announced Monday's memorial service for Michael will be at 10:00 am at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church, 5515 MLK Drive.

Also, in the STL Post-Dispatch, is an excellent OP ED by The Rev. Carla Fletcher, retired Disciples of Christ pastor and member of the Ferguson Eco Team.  Her husband was a former mayor of Ferguson (not Brian Fletcher, also a former mayor)

Tonight we attended the I Love Ferguson Community Meeting held in a full Ferguson Baptist Church and coordinated by former Ferguson Mayor Brian Fletcher.  The gathering was mostly white.  After Rev Jones from Greater Grace Church offered an opening prayer, Mayor Knowles and Brian shared a few remarks and context for the evening. The purpose was not to harangue but to work on positive steps toward the future.  Then the mike was turned over to anyone who would like to suggest a next step and take responsibility for making that happen.  About 20+ people spoke, offering some excellent ideas that addressed the racism and underrepresentation of the black community.  The community is determined to address these issues and to make Ferguson an even better place to live. It was a hopeful meeting.  I Love Ferguson T shirts and signs were available to pick up.  Donations from signs and shirts will be used to help businesses that have been damaged by the riots/looting.

The temperature reached 96 degrees.  Protestors delivered a petition with 70,000 signatures to county prosecutor McCulloch's office, calling for him to recuse himself from the case and have a special prosecutor appointed.

Have been in communication with the presbytery office re writing a letter to the congregations as a call to support Ferguson and to respond to the reality of white privilege and the challenge to enter into the Ferguson/St. Louis/national dialogue through personal and group courageous interracial converations and also systemically.
A letter will go out tomorrow.

In the world, ISIS (State of Islam), a more violent break off group from al Qaida is taking over more territory in Iraq and Syria and creating havoc,  They beheaded an American reporter.  Two missionaries with Ebola, flown back to the U.S., have completely recovered and were released from the hospital.  The ALS ice bucket challenge continues.

Almost 10PM. Temp is still 90 degrees.Fewer (dozens, rather than hundreds)protestors are on West Florissant tonight--calm for the moment.  No storms tonight--natural or human created.  However, the helicopter is back.  So is our friend the ground hog.

 Friday, August 22:  Quiet night on West Florissant last night.  7 arrests.  The paper reports that during these last almost two weeks, 200 arrests have been made: 21, out of state; 58, St Louis City, 70, N. County, 23, Jennings, and 9, Ferguson.

Nothing in the paper or TV news about the I Love Ferguson meeting last night--par for the course--always focusing on the sensational.

The National Guard is beginning to withdraw as are some of the media trucks.

Funds for both Michael Brown's family and the police offier are growing as is more support for the peace officer.

Presbytery Leader Anita Hendrix emailed a letter to presbytery congregations.

St Louis Madeline Englebright is selling prints of a picture she drew depicting a small black child sitting on its mother's lap with its arms up, the caption saying, "NO ONE should have to teach a child this in the USA.."  I ordered a copy.

This morning at 11:00AM at First Presbyterian Church, Ferguson, into which Northminster Presbyterian Church merged January 1, 2014, the memorial service was held for the Rev. William T. Hancock, pastor of Northminster for 34 years.  Bill's ministerial focus was human rights for all, including people of all races.  He marched in Selma and was on the forefront of civil rights for all people in the St. Louis area.  He would have been out on the streets marching this last week.  The service went well, was dignified and appropriate.  The Rev. Mike Trautman, Pastor of First Ferguson, presided and preached.  The Rev. Liz Rolf-Kanerva, The Rev. Terry Epling, members of the family, and Carleton and I participated in the service.

Around  5:00pm this evening I joined colleagues in a "pilgrimage walk" from our house three blocks to West Florissant, then south past the QuickTrip that burned to the Ferguson Meat and Liquor Market where Michael Brown was involved in a robbery.  From there we headed back north to Canfield Drive and walked a couple of blocks to the spot where he was killed.  There was a long line of long stem red roses in the middle of the street reaching about a 100 feet from a growing memorial on the site.  Two other memorials were on the grass by the sidewalk.  A woman on the grass across the street invited people to contribute sayings or pictures to a memorial board.  Folks were in small groups milling around that area.  We walked back to West Florisssant, purchased "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" T shirts from a vender, passed cooks bar b quing outside a boarded up but open restaurant, and saw folks beginning to gather.  A few clergy were on the sidewalk to talk with protestors and onlookers when they walked by.  A drummer walked up the street and police in cars were parked in business lots and side streets.  The temperature was 95.

More peaceful night, smaller crowds protesting but no arrests--just a helicopter hovering in the wee early morning hours.

Saturday, August 23:

Presbytery meeting at Third Presbyterian Church, North County, a primarily African American congregation, began with lively praise music from the choir..  Moderator Elder Thom Hood opened with a prayer for Ferguson.  After lunch, Mike Trautman spoke briefly about the situation.

We left for Chautauqua.

Heard that the NAACP had a march on West Florissant. A big memorial mural for Mike Brown has been painted on the wall of a building at Union Blvd. and Cote Brilliante Avenue.  Grassroots and help from outside is springing up all over.
Many articles/commentaries.  One sent from a colleague:
Bill Moyers suggests that Ferguson has spurred 6 very important conversations.  This maybe the  best thing that I have read about the issues involved.  Here is the link to his commentary:
http://billmoyers.com/2014/08/23/six-vital-conversations-jumpstarted-on-the-streets-of-ferguson/

Sunday, August 24:  After the season's closing Evensong service, Chautauqua president Tom Becker offered closing comments.  He mentioned a number of global/local events that were tragically affecting the world.  Ferguson was one of these.  He said that the deepening and broadening of dialogue and understanding here needed to be taken out into the world in action.

Monday, August 25:  I am at a meeting in Chautauqua Institution, NY.  No access to TV--only newspapers and internet.  The Ferguson-Florissant School District classes finally started today.  Also today, was the funeral for Michael Brown at Friendly   Baptist Church, which can accommodate 4000+ people.  Michael Brown's uncle, a minister, spoke, as did Al Sharpton.  Representatives from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s family as well as the White House were also present.  Michael Brown's father called for a day of peace, no protests.  For the most part, that's the way it was.  Michael Brown was buried in St. Peter's Cemetery (owned by St. Peter's UCC Church, Ferguson).

Tueday, August 26:  Bethany Daily of the PC(USA) news emailed the link to her article from her interview with us:
http://www.pcusa.org/news/2014/8/25/facing-ferguson/

Wednesday, August 27:  Since we left St Louis, we have read articles about Ferguson in papers from Columbus, OH, Buffalo, Jamestown, Syracuse, NY Times--some different, others the same articles, syndicated.  We have been hearing from other folks, reacting to the situation, and responding to some.

Tuesday and Wednesday, peaceful protests, marches, and vigils resumed in downtown St Louis at the office of the federal prosecutor and also in Ferguson.  The daughter of MLK visited Riverview Gardens School District to listen to and talk with students about the Ferguson situation and to encourage a non-violent response.  Ferguson was on the cover of the September 1 issue of Time magazine, in which there is also a lead article.  The I Love Ferguson group continues to sell T shirts and order more yard signs for distribution across town.  The National Guard has pulled out, but the MO Highway Patrol is still cruising the streets.  Businesses are trying to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars lost in these last two weeks.

Everyone has an opinion about Ferguson, especially those who don't live in Ferguson and are not familiar with the situation.  I am in touch with a civil rights lawyer who knows Crump, the lawyer for Michael Brown's family.  I am interested in his reflections on all of this.

The green rolling hills of NY,a  beautiful lake basking in late-summer sunshine, the stars shining brightly in the country night sky, a happy reunion with family and a 90th birthday party, the early turning colorful leaves, the pink and gold-tinted sunrise clouds above tree-green shores, and spirals of seagulls searching for breakfast don't give a hint of what's happening in Ferguson or Iraq or Syria or Africa or the Ukraine.  But we know better... and soon will return to immerse ourselves once again in a response we hope will be the most helpful . . . through continued individual and group courageous interracial conversations and economic, political and cultural systemic change.  G-O-D, the Mystery of, through, around, before, behind, above, below, among, with, and for all of Life, only knows. . .

Wednesday, August 27, St Louis Post-Dispatch:  reported that $1 Million had been approved by the county for emergency aid to businesses.

Thursday, August 28, St Louis Post-Dispatch:  NPR holds a passionate discussion about race relations and police tactics at Wellspring Church(emerging church, Methodist denomination) in Ferguson.  The gathering "Ferguson and Beyond:  A Community Conversation" featured a panel of black and white leaders.
 ontinued articles on the Ferguson situation, police brutality, race relations,
militarization of police forces, creating dialogue, etc.

Today, on our way back from NY, we stayed with our son in the Cleveland, OH area.  He told us how he had been awakened this morning...in his own words:

I had an interesting wake up call with the following announcement through a megaphone of some sort: "4134 Bayard Road, this is the police. We have a search warrent." My first thought was "What is my address again?" (It's 4138.) I went downstairs to find multiple police cruisers, two armored vehicles, and several decked out police officers who looked as though they had come straight from seeing action in Iraq parked in my neighbor's lawn. By the time I had to leave for school, a few cruisers remained and the police were still inside. I was quite surprised that it happened next door. The family is relatively new to the street and I haven't had any problems with them. The house remained empty the rest of Thursday evening. However, on Friday everyone seemed to be back. I haven't found out what happened. It's not something you bring up casually - "So, uh, anything interesting happen with you in the last few days?"

It was probably a SWAT team--seems like the militarization of police to me...

Also learned a twenty-year neighbor of ours died--no details.  His name was Michael--so now a tale of two Michaels, both different but sad losses of members of that generation.

Before we left, I happened to notice a calendar on the dining room table published by EJI--Equal Justice Initiative.  The theme of the 2014 calendar was "The History of Racial Injustice" and it contained historical references regarding racial injustice in most of the date squares.  I copied the contact info.

Saturday, August 30:  As we were driving home, we received a phone call from colleagues asking if it were ok if they parked in our driveway while they participated in the National march/demonstration.  When we returned, we saw TV reports that 1000+ people participated in the demonstration led by Michael Brown's parents, beginning at the Bar B Q on West Florissant, then to Canfield to the site where Michael Brown was killed, then to Forestwood Park where his parents spoke, then to the Ferguson Police Station which was guarded by a line of Ferguson police officers wearing vest cams that had been donated by two businesses.  Loud but mostly peaceful day as marchers called for an end to racial profiling.

The same day, I Love Ferguson Group was distributing yard signs all over Ferguson and T-shirts.  It is good to be positive, but it is mostly a white group led by a former mayor of Ferguson.  I fear this seemingly frantic response is an attempt to sew up a wound before all the infection is out.

National protests re situations similar to Michael Brown's are popping up across the country..

The September issue of the Ferguson Times with Carleton's column re racism arrived today.  The Mayor's article mentioned it in the context of looking toward the future.

Monday, September 1, Labor Day:  Centene Corporation announced it would set up a new claims processing facility with 200 new jobs to Ferguson.

The I Love Ferguson Group, accompanied by the Ferguson Jolly Trolly covered with I Love Ferguson yard signs, marched in the City of St Louis Labor Day Parade.  Carleton walked with the Jobs with Justice Group.

Colleges are beginning to mobilize and have lectures, forums, etc. re the Ferguson issue.

Originally, leaders of protesters called for a stoppage of traffic on major throughways surrounding St Louis at 4:30 pm for 4 1/2  minutes, representing the 4/12 hours Michael Brown's body was left on the street after he was killed.  By noon, the demonstration was called off but a few demonstrators didn't get the message and attempted to stop traffic on I270 until police arrived, at which time they scattered.

Carleton received an email from a Ferguson Times reader, thanking him for his excellent article "Disamantling Racism, Rebuilding Community" in the September Ferguson Times.

The Cardinals take sole lead of the NL Central division, after beating the Pirates.

Tuesday, September 2:  Steven Sotloff, a reporter in the middle east became the second reporter to be beheaded by ISIS, the State of Islam, which continues to gain territory and strength in Iraq and Syria.

Gov. Nixon nominated Dr. Daniel Isom, African American former St. Louis City Chief of Police for four years, as the next Director of Missouri State's Department of Public Safety.  Isom is the nephew of former Northminster member Mary Parram who died a few years ago.  She would be proud.

Rev. Mike Trautman emailed the Ministerial Aliance asking how we might work proactively to prepare for whatever announcement the Grand Jury makes concerning whether or not to indict Officer Wilson.  People will be unhappy no matter how the decision goes.  We will talk about it at our meeting next Tuesday.

I called EJI and ordered a 2014 "History of Racial Injustice" calendar.

"Times" Magazine front cover/articles about Ferguson.

Wednesday, September 3:  As we were finishing our morning walk, a neighbor came up to us and said he was offended by Carleton's article in the September Ferguson Times, particularly the idea that only whites can be racist (referring to our country).  He continued in a ranting monologue that racism is when one group thinks their race is better than another.  He has had good relations with black in school, work and neighborhood and doesn't believe whites are racist.  He said he called and complained to the editor who wouldn't say anything.  He said he would contact others who supported the financing of the paper.  In a previous conversation with Carleton, he said that slavery was not such a bad situation. He is a Missouri Synod Lutheran and put a Missouri Synod Lutheran flag on a flag pole after we put our Earth Flag up over our garage door.

Later in the day he rang our doorbell and told Carleton that he should apologize for the article and that, as a minister, he should talk about Jesus and not social justice.

Also today the poster by Mary Engelbreit arrived.

Governor Nixon rescinds the state of emergency in Ferguson.  This also means that he no longer has the power to remove Prosecuting Attorney McCullock from the case and appoint someone else.

Attorney General Announced that his office would be conducting a civil rights investigation of the Ferguson Police Department and perhaps other departments in the area.  The County Police say they invited Holder to help train them and are working with his department, not being investigated by them.

The St. Louis P-D called for Michael Brown's juvenile police records to be opened.  The Judge said he had not been charged on any class A or B felony charges but would not release if there had been class C charges.

Thursday, September 4:  U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier concluded that BP showed conscious disregard in its drilling procedures in the Gulf which caused the nation's largest oil spill.  Fines could be up to $18 billion.

Friday, September 5:  This morning Carleton received an email from the editor of The Ferguson Times, saying she could no longer print his column as she could no longer justify it for her readers or herself.

We're pondering next steps, responses...

A group of protesters were demonstrating outside City Hall, wanting to talk to the mayor about forgiving back fines for people with traffic tickets which they feel unjustly targets African Americans and the poorer segments of Ferguson.  If people can't afford to pay the fines, they are thrown in jail, lose jobs, and fall into greater poverty.  The Mayor was not in the office and police were guarding the entrance.

Excellent letter to the editor by ted Morrison (Rock Hill) entitled "Institutional Racism began in the Nation's Infancy".

"Homer", the groundhog, is back grazing in our yard after a few days' absence.

Saturday, September 6:  In spite of light rain, there were many tents at the Ferguson Farmer's Market this morning, including the I Love Ferguson table with multi-colored T-shirts, yard signs, pins, and other paraphernalia.  At another table with an assortment of ribbons and markers, people were encouraged to write words of hope on a ribbon that would be hung with others on the fence lining South Florissant Road, the main street of Old Ferguson, in front of the parking lot where the Farmer's Market is held.  Many people decorated ribbons which will join many others already hanging on the fence.

Sunday, September 7:  Second PC Church Sunday Forum.  Will be co-leading next week's session on the Ferguson situation and the next week leading a discussion on the paper "White Privilege, Unpacking the Knapsack".

Ferguson concert for Peace and Unity Concert held at Ferguson Heights Church of Christ this afternoon.  A tentative announcement had been made at the 8/13 Ministerial Alliance Meeting, but we hadn't received any info since then and didn't know it had been confirmed, so we didn't go. Looks like it was a good conference.

Monday, September 8:  Attended evening lecture at Washington University re prejudice and "covering"--a deeper level of prejudice where, for example, in racial prejudice, the skin color might be accepted, but people are still expected to adhere to certain behaviors.

Today, Colleague and author John Cock's daily blog focused on Ferguson and Carleton's FT article.

Our neighbor who didn't like Carleton's article saw Carleton during his walk again.  This time he apologized for "barking" at him about the article but said he hadn't changed his mind.

TMX release of video of NFL Baltimore Raven's player Ray Rice's 2/11 domestic violence of his then fiancée, now wife causing media stir.

Eve of another Super Moon (Harvest Moon)--looked beautiful, even a night early.

Tuesday, September 9:  Ferguson Ministerial Alliance Meeting.  Good discussions regarding the Ferguson situation and role that the Ministerial Alliance can play--especially when the Grand Jury announces its decision.  The sense of many people is that Officer Wilson will not be indicted.  Conversation lasted beyond normal adjourning time.  I distributed Carleton's Ferguson Times article and the info about the Editor's discontinuing his column, "A Brief Definition of Prejudice and Racism" (at the end of this Update),  as well as an article on "White Privilege, Unpacking the Knapsack" that we will look at during our October meeting.

The First Ferguson Council Meeting since Michael Brown was shot, was held at 7pm at Greater Grace Church because it is a larger venue to accommodate a larger than normal crowd.  Approximately 500 attended, majority African American.  We did not attend as we had another meeting related to our environmental work (Franciscan Sisters' video night: "The Wisdom to Survive--Climate Change, Capitalism and Communty") . Before the meeting the Mayor had announced via the media some proposed changes in how fines, court fees and others procedures would be handled.  This was a first reading, but it was unclear where this decision had come from if the Council hadn't met. People experienced a lack of transparency and not being heard before such decisions were made.  Reports from colleagues who attended said it was a chaotic, loud, meeting--angry people, shouting, not identifying themselves or identifying themselves as "Michael Brown from Ground Zero".  People were allowed to speak for three minutes, but other interrupted or shouted them down.  The meeting closed at 10pm.  Some people were still in line to speak.  People either did not understand or chose to ignore Council meeting procedures as well as pastors who tried to calm the situation.

The real Super Moon was hidden behind the clouds, as a positive path forward was clouded by the commotion of this evening's meeting.

Wednesday, September 10:  Contacted a few folks about Carleton's last Ferguson Times article and the Editor's decision to discontinue his column.  Received emails from people who wrote to the Editor.

Protesters attempt to block I70.  Police thwarted complete blockage but ramps were blocked and the police themselves were part of the blockage.  Vickers organized the protest--which was supposed to be non-violent civil disobedience.  However bricks, water bottles and other "missles" were thrown at the police.  Some arrests were made.  Media reported  Vickers responded with a "right on" to Thompson who emailed if Officer Wilson isn't convicted, they should burn down the City Hall, etc.  When questioned by reporters Vickers played down the comment.  Vickers eventually called off the protest and told people to go over to the police station and City Hall.  Some protestors went to the City Hall but were soon dispersed by heavy rain.

State Senator Maria Chapelle-Nadal attacked Gov. Nixon in his handling of the Ferguson situation.  [She also opposed his veto of a bill which put a cap on fines given to Doe Run for their mining contamination.  The veto was eventually voted down by the MO legislature.  I talked with her about that.  She was dismissive of any comments about the Doe Run situation]

County police are now wearing body cameras.

Before leaving for an evening meeting we received a phone call from a friend in Rochester, NY who had received our "Update"  a while back but hadn't had time to respond.  She said they were keeping Ferguson in their prayers.  She also said that in Rochester today, there was a big funeral for a white police officer who had been killed by an African-American man who had shot him in the head when the officer stopped him for a traffic infraction.  Sadness all over.

Invited to another meeting related to Ferguson at First Congregational Church's Wednesday Night Live gathering that we sometimes attend.  Going to another meeting instead.

Tonight we attended a meeting hosted by Rance Brown, president of NCCU (North County Churches Uniting for Racial Harmony and Justice). North County mayors, police chiefs, pastors and leaders were invited.  After opening remarks a panel shared individual opening remarks and responded to pre-decided questions.  The conversation was eventually opened up to meeting attendees.  Panel:  Col. Charles Adams, U City; Prof. Wesley Bell, Florissant Valley Community College; Ms. Angela Bills, St. Louis Urban League; Mr. Stanley Johnson, Human Resource Development Services; Prof. Pernell Witherspoon, Lindenwood Univ.; Ret. Chief Carl Wolf, Hazelwood Police Dept.  Capt. Ronald Johnson, Missouri Highway Patrol had to cancel due to the I70 protests.

Police/mayors from Florissant, Hazelwood, Florissant, St Ann's were present.  No police from Ferguson, again due to the I 70 protests.

Questions discussed:
1-What do you see as the cause of mistrust of the police by the African-American community?
2-What can the police and the community do to improve the relations between them?
3-How can the police recruit more African-Americans?
4-How can the police eliminate racial profiling?
5-How can the police de-escalate volatile situations without violence [didn't get to this question]
6-What do you think of police community relations?  [Tangentially touched upon this]

Rance proposed setting up a 10-member committee to follow-up on this.

Returned home to a phone message invitation from a colleague to attend a Thursday morning meeting with the Department of Justice Representatives (part of the ongoing DOJ investigation of Ferguson) with members of the business community.

This evening President Obama announced how the U.S. and allies would be dealing with ISIS (ISIL) which continues to spread through Syria and Iraq.

Thursday, September 11:  Thirteenth anniversary of 9/11/01.  Some day I hope to go to all three of the memorials.  Stopped at Flight 93 temporary memorial in Shanksville, PA in December 2001 and signed our names on a wall board memorial.

Decided not to go to DOJ/Business meeting.  We're not business--would feel out of place.  A colleague who is attending will report back to us.

Carleton was invited and agreed to be on a presbytery planning team to prepare for J. Herbert Nelson's (PCUSA Washington Office) meeting with the presbytery October 18.   (Nelson's first letter with incorrect statements has been revised in recent releases.)

Received in the mail the latest issue of "Christian Century" with cover and article about the militarized police, beginning with Michael Brown and Ferguson.  Also in the mail the EJI (Equal Justice Initiative 2014 Calendar on "A History of Racial Injustice"

Friday, September 12:  Attended Christian Hospital regular Community Leaders' Breakfast.  Among the updates and featured topics was how the EMS responded during the Ferguson crisis:  setting up a base near the crisis area, sharing first aid equipment with booths set up on the street to help people, providing bullet proof vests for workers, moving first responders to other headquarters so they could respond and not be trapped by protesters, providing counseling and support systems to first responders,

Attended a "Teach-In and Preach-In Tent Revival for Social Justice, funded by Friends of SpiritHouse Project and held and hosted by Christ the King United Church of Christ.  There were three speaker/workshop sessions in the afternoon:
1) What is racism as opposed to White Privilege? "Resisting White Supremacy:  From Analysis to Action" (led by Ewuare Osayande, Anti-Oppression Coordinator with Mennonite Central Committee U.S.; organizer, educator, analyst, author and editor)[History of hundreds of years of legislated, legalized white supremacy and racism since the Virginia Colony.  White power/privilege/supremacy built on a foundation of theft of land/genocide (Native Americans) and theft of labor (Africans enslaved).  Without this history, whiteness has no intrinsic superiority--no different from anyone else.  What makes this work is violence. Af Amer. exclude from religious, economic, social, governmental, educational, etc. systems.]

"Race" is not a biological reality.  Not born a race.  "Race" emerges as a social construct in history, developed by a particular people for a particular purpose.  Who created it?  When created?  Why created?  How created?

"Race" began during the period of the Enlightenment.  Europeans travelled the globe (e.g., Christopher Columbus, Colonialism--"discovering" folks who were already there).  Slavery was introduced to the New World.

1700s: Johann Blumenbush (German philosopher).  Identified humanity into types:  Africanus, Asiatans, European, the latter of which he decided was supreme:  beginning of white supremacy.  Beginning of distinguishing race from culture (How we think, what we do, how we understand the world around us--which is distinct from race)
1619: Virginia Colony:
        -slavery introduced
        -first shipment of Africans arrive in Colony of Virginia
        -20 Africans sold into what would become institutional slavery
        -European indentured servants were already working in fields
        -introduction of African labor changes the dynamics in the colony
1639: Law passed in Virginia Colony (ruled by Europeans)
        -all persons, except Negroes, are to be provided weapons/arms and
              ammunition or be fined at the pleasure of the governor.
        -weapons mostly used against Native Americans whose land had been
                seized by Europeans.
        -Why not arm Negroes?  Because they were eternally slaves, not termed
                indentured, although they were living in same quarters and doing the
                same worked as the indentured servants
1640: 3 indentured servants, escaped:  The Scott and Dutchman were given
                four more years of indentured work.  The African was enslaved the rest
                of his life.
        -The benefit?  Constructing a racial difference.
1660: Law:  if an European servant runs away with a Negro, the European, if caught,
                will serve for time of the Negro's absence
        -Therefore, exerted pressure on the European to return African back to plantation
        -European servants had closer alignment with owners than with the Negroes of
                the same status.
        -After this, a European never escaped with a Negro
1662: Children of European men by Negro women will be bound or traced according
                to the condition of the mother (previously, it had been the condition of the
                father).  Therefore, this gave the Europeans more "property" through sex/
                rape.
1667: Debate in Virginia Colony when a minister wanted to baptize an African, which
                give the African the "right hand of fellowship", equal with everyone else in
                the community.
        -Law:  Baptism does not change the Law of slavery status.  Therefore a master
                can freely propagate Christianity--can baptize into the faith but the one
                baptized is still property, while his "soul" is saved.
1671: First time the term "white" is used in law
        -If white man/woman intermarry with a Negro, within three months he/she is
                banished from the dominion forever
        -"White" benefits: -weapons
                                     -right to force
                                     -servants:  10 years' work then get property, seed, weapons,
                                            --as long as they don't affiliate with Negroes
1705: Law:  All Negroes, mulattos, Indian slaves shall be held as real estate and
                classified as slaves

"White Privilege":  formed through history, colonization, and taking of land.  No added
        value to being white except for oppression of those who don't have land, power.

How are these laws still a reality?  What would it mean to create new laws to create a new reality.

Resources:
-There is a River, Vincent Hardy [wrote draft of MLK speech on Viet Nam]
-In the Matter of Color, A. Leon Higgenbotham
-Killing Rage, Ending Racism, Bell Hooks
-How the Irish Became White, Neol Igratieb

Personal Reflection of voices welling up from within:
-Ecumenical Institute/Institute of Cultural Affairs:  equal, complementary gifts of all
    cultures/races--need them all to build a new world
-Great, great,  Aunt Helen Marr Archibald (1/1840-4/21/1935; 6th generation in America, ancestors arrived 1634) (for whom my Mother and I are named--name means "light") [a note written by my mother]:
    Grandfather Archibald housed escaping Negroes across the Ohio River to his home
    in Louisville, KY.  He hid them in a closet which led to a closet down in his
    basement.  They were given food,, a Bible, candles and blankets, slept in daytime
    and travelled north at night.
        Miss Helen M. Archibald was daughter of Grandfather Archibald.  She was my
    Great Aunt and Dudda's [my mother's] aunt.  Aunt Helen took turns living at my
    Aunt May's house in Washington, D.C., and livng with Dudda and Bumpa at 413
    Bickley Place, Chester, PA.  Aunt Helen made history come alive to Bob (brother)
    and me.  She had heard Lincoln speak and told us so much about history.  She
    lived to be 95 (blind the last three years and bedridden at Aunt May's house in
    Washington, D.C.). ..Her fiancé was killed during the Civil War and never married.
Universe Story: We all have one common origin and destiny.  We are a
     communion of subjects, not a collection of objects.  The Journey of the Universe,
     as it moves toward individuation, diversity, complexity, and communion, is our
     common story, ancestry, legacy and hope.

2) "Mining the Political Landscape Today:  ALEC, Supreme Court Decisions of the Day, Militarized Police Force and Southern Strategy ( Led by Ruby Sales, founder and director of the SpiritHouse Project, Civil Right activist  [Emancipation Proclaimation freed slaves, some progress/economic and political participation/leadership during reconstruction.  Then Jim Crow laws legalized segregation and showed a blind eye to harassment and persecution of African Americans, and intentionally, systematically undermined and dismantled accomplishments/progress made. Separate and unequal became the nation's MO Brown vs. the Board of Education in 1954 ended school desegregation.  The Civil Rights and Voting Act restored equal rights to African Americans.  Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity programs helped to level the playing field.  However, increasing states' rights legislation, gerrymandering, and voter suppression has eroded much rights given in the Civil Rights Acts.

3) Reading the Gospels as a Foundation for Social Justice work in the 21st Century.  "Making "Home" and Being "Safe" in America--Interrogating Racist and Classist Structural Violence with the Prophetic Imagination of Jesus (In memory of Trayvon Martin and Michael)  (Led by Leah Gunning Francis, United Methodist Church and Deborah Krause, PC(USA), (both of Eden Seminary)[Focus on Mark, ch 1-3, emphasis on 'sense of home", how Jesus supported that for everyone]; table discussions/next steps.

About 50 black/white participants, clergy, laity, non-church related.  Also present, well-known Civil Rights Activist, C.T. Vivien, now 90 years old.

Didn't stay for preach-in.

Saturday, September 13:  It was reported in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch that a group of people who regularly peacefully sit and demonstrate in front of the police station on South Florissant, the main street of Old Town Ferguson, were taking a meal break at a local restaurant as is their custom (not demonstrating or protesting) and went to the Ferguson Brew House to eat.  The management there refused to serve them.  They left and came back with more protestors.  They staged a sit in, but did not eat and eventually left.  The owner, who also owns three other restaurants in Ferguson, who also has been in touch with this group during recent days, was not present for either of these events.  As soon as he heard about the incident, he apologized to the group and told them they and all protestors are welcome.  However, by then, the damage had already been done.  The owner met with his staff to do some retraining.  Too little, too late.

At  the Ferguson Farmer's Market on South Florissant, protesters were circling through the aisle, chanting.

There have been calls to move the demonstrations/protests over to South Florissant and to boycotts businesses in the Old Town business district in Ferguson.

The I Love Ferguson Group presented a $5,000 check to North County, Inc. to help businesses affected in the area.  Reports are that about 100 businesses have been affected either from looting, vandalism or loss of business.  Costs are estimated at $500,000 or more.

Protests in Clayton led by Michael Brown's family, calling for the arrest of Officer Darren Wilson.

Costs to St Louis/County/Ferguson for police/equipment/vehicles, etc--range from $5-6 million.

Also saw video on internet of cell phone video of two construction workers who witnessed Michael Brown being shot and having his hands up.  Had heard of the interview but somehow had missed it on TV.  The workers were interviewed by FBI and others collecting evidence.  Will see what affect it has on the Grand Jury.

This afternoon we attended part of the second day of the Teach-In, Preach-In.  We came for the Teach-In session.  Due to time constraints we were able to hear the first two:  1)  "Lessons We Can Draw from the South African Struggle, Ubuntu," by Dr. Iva Carruthers, General Secretary for the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference (SDPC); and 2) "Restorative Justice and What It Means for the Black Community and the Police", led by Rev. Michelle Armster, Transitional Director for Mennonite Central Committee Central States.

Lots to ponder from the these last two days . . .  It all brings back that gnawing, nervous feeling in my stomach. . .

Had to leave early to go to another meeting to prepare for Second PC Sunday Forum on "Ferguson.

Nationally, news about a football player suspended due to domestic abuse.  Big fire in California, set deliberately.

Sunday, September 14:  A third person, British Aid Worker David Haines was beheaded by ISIS.

Sunday St. Louis Post-Dispatch paper:  front page, above the fold, huge photo of Michael Brown's covered body lying on the street where he was shot, delineating the timeline from the time he was shot to the time his body was finally picked up. over four hours later.

Another couple from Second Presbyterian Church and we led 9:30am Sunday Forum in a session on "Ferguson," which included background on Ferguson, definition of prejudice/racism (including handouts Carleton's Ferguson Times article, letters to the Editor by Ted Morrison on "Institutional Racism" and Carla Fletcher, a conversation on the "What do we actually know about the shooting of Michael Brown and aftermath, and Updates.  Will continue the session next week focusing on "White Privilege."

The worship service was the second in the Care of Earth Series, this one focusing on rivers, the theme of which was included in the liturgy and music.  Also a baptism.  The sermon was given by Eden professor Lean Gunning .... "Wade in the Water".  Related mostly to Ferguson, rather than rivers and the environment.

Monday, September 15:  Newspaper reported demonstration at the Ferguson Farmer's Market the intention to continue to do that as well as boycott S. Florissant Old Town Ferguson businesses.

Met for lunch with a lawyer who attended Friday's meeting of representatives from the Department of Justice with Ferguson business people.  We first talked about our experiences since Michael Brown's death and then talked about the meeting.  The lawyer said they explained why they were here and that there would be a "presence" in Ferguson probably for the next two  years.  The lawyer mentioned the "issue of racism" (from Carleton's article).  Many people got it, others not.  The lawyer also mentioned being in a Ferguson shop when a black man came to talk to the manager and said the manager better do something about the situation or there would be trouble.  The lawyer's own business has been partially relocated and computers secured in case there is further trouble.

Businesses are very fearful concerning what will happen following the announcement of the Grand Jury.  They asked the DOJ reps how they would be protected if riots break out following no indictment of the officer.  The DOJ said they will receive notice ahead of time before the announcement and are preparing now how to respond.

Phone call from someone who talked to the Editor of Ferguson Times about the discontinuation of Carleton's column.

200th anniversary of the writing of "The Star Spangled Banner" by Frances Scott Key after he witnessed the flag still flying over Ft. Henry after the previous evenings bombardment.  This was later to become the U.S. National Anthem.

Tuesday, September 16:  Reported by media that the Grand Jury's term has been extended (after it expired last week) and that it has until January 7 to announce a decision about whether or not to indict Officer Wilson, although the Grand Jury does not need to take that much time.  The GJ consists of 9 whites, 3 blacks.  It takes 9 people to make an indictment, the decision does not have to be unanimous.

Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson testified before the Grand Jury for almost four hours.
Prosecuting Attorney McCulloch said, if Wilson is not indicted, the tapes/transcript from the Grand Jury will be released to the public.

Angry protestors disrupt St. Louis County Council meeting, still calling for the arrest Officer Wilson and the removal of McCulloch as Prosecuting Attorney.

Wednesday, September 17:  Attended lecture at Washington University School of Law, given by lawyer Sherillyn Ifill  (Legal Defense Fund and 20 years a professor at the University of Maryland):  "From Brown to Ferguson".
    -1954 Brown vs. the Board of Education Case (60th anniversary this year) ended
        school desegregation and ended "legal apartheid" in the U.S.  [segregation not
        hurt the black community but also had affects on whites:  guilt re minorities,
        twisted development of white children and behavior of adults.  It was a human
        rights case for all people in American, a patriotic case.
    Ferguson:  all Americans are threatened by the unraveling of democracy, the
        proliferation of guns.
        -1st fullstream media event
        -Elected leadership not able to respectfully respond
        -No political accountability
        -Structural issues:
            -Policing nationwide: need to confront problem of police
                 with black victims.  Title 6:  no funds to groups that discriminate
            -Political accountability: part-time mayor/council; budget supported by traffic
                  tickets; for Brown/people
            -Ecucational/economic well-being of people in the community
Brown case was a culmination of strategy:  Students today, no matter what profession,
        need to be devoted to civil rights.

Coalition of African-American Democrats formed and announced they would not support any political candidate who has exhibited "disrespect" for the black community on issues such as education, jobs and racial profiling.

Thursday, September 18:  Carleton had two meetings related to Ferguson:  Jobs with Justice, talked about the various coalitions involved in actions around the Ferguson situation; presbytery meeting to plan a 10/18 event when J. Herbert Nelson, PC(USA) Washington Office, will be featured at a presbytery gathering.

Conversation tonight with a Ferguson first responder re stress experienced by all the first responders, threats received, DOJ investigation/confiscation of social media files, much overtime with little sleep during crisis, false calls to ambush first responders who also were targets of shooting, being shouted.sworn at and spit on when answering calls, headquarters moved around so they were not trapped by protesters, wearing of bullet-proof vests, some experiencing PTSD symptoms, lots of anger re the past/present and fear re the future.  Another side of story that Brown didn't have his hands up in surrender but were up in a "beckoning, come get me" fashion.  Anger over talk about "mishandling the leaving of Brown's body on the street for 4 1/2 hours and the militarization of police when they were trying to protect themselves from protester's
bullets.  Raw emotion.

Plans to pack the next Council meeting so protestors can't get in.  "Talk" of delayed announcement of Grand Jury until January when the weather is colder and less conducive for protesting.

Friday, September 20:  Ribbon cutting for the new community center opening.

Received email invitation for a planning meeting today from a coalition group.  Below is a statement of purpose and demands and possible actions if demands are not met.  Didn't go to meeting.

Collective Statement:

God, the Creator of all humanity, regardless of race, religion, gender, culture, ethnicity, or class, has summoned us to stand in the gap and be a voice for those who are disempowered, disenfranchised, dispossessed, and disinherited because of wicked systemic structures which promotes sexism, racism, and classism. This unholy triad has wreaked havoc upon the citizens of Ferguson, particularly the residents of Canfield Apartments until the community of faith can no longer be still or silent and claim to be committed to justice, righteousness, reconciliation, peace, and healing.

The God of the Cosmos has provided a moment of Kairos, a season whereby, those of us who believe God is more than able, rightfully conclude that we are the hands and the feet of the Divine. God is not passive but active. God is not silent but speaking, through the blood of Michael Brown and the frustration of our brothers and sisters who have been victimized by a system that regards them as less than human AND a means of capital for local governmental revenue through traffic stops and laborious warrants.

A godly understanding of justice is not the absence of righteous indignation, which gives us the impetus to cry, demand, march, pray and struggle. Rather, it is the holy movement of the communal, collective, and collaborative Spirit empowering us to no longer be satisfied with status quo but to become actively engaged in transforming our broken places and hurtful spaces into an oasis of compassion, grace, and mercy where those who have “power” realized they are called to serve and not be lords; those who have been downtrodden will become enabled to become agents of transformation in their communities; and the beloved community will become not a concept, but a reality. Amos 5:24 said it best. “Let justice roll down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream.”

Thus the beloved community is not rooted in worldly systems but the spiritual, internal and eternal understanding that all of us are created in the image and likeness of God, yet scarred by sin. Thus, we engage in this struggle as the community of faith so we can inch a little closer to reclaiming our “pre-fallen existence.” Therefore, this is not a racial, political, economical, sexual, social, or religious struggle. This is a divine, moral struggle for the soul of our community. And God is on the side of the oppressed!

In recognition of the inherent power and strength of the unification of diverse people of faith, race, gender, sexual orientation from all areas of our region, The St. Louis Clergy Coalition;  (name the collaborators), are solidified in our call for immediate and impactful actions targeted toward addressing and eradicating the insidious manifestations of institutional racism that are evident in the documented racial disparities and civil rights violations within the local law enforcement, political structure and educational systems of Ferguson, Missouri and beyond.

We offer our sincere condolences to the family of Michael Brown Jr. and stand in solidarity with the family, the people of Canfield Apartments, the city of Ferguson and the Greater Saint Louis Region to DEMAND a swift, unbiased and transparent investigation of the immediate and subsequent actions of Officer Darren Wilson and the Ferguson Police Department that resulted in:

•              The racial profiling and unlawful detainment of a black male who was not under criminal surveillance or investigation of any kind at the time of pursuit.

•              The unwarranted discharge of a police firearm on an unarmed black male in a densely populated residential area without regard of potential casualties.

•              The killing of an unarmed black male whose hands were lifted in a stance of surrender.

•              The wanton disregard for the family of Michael Brown and the community that resulted in the exposed body of Michael Brown, Jr. lying in the street in excess of four hours.

In addition, we DEMAND:

•              The appointment of an independent Special Prosecutor to oversee the criminal investigation.

•              We applaud the Federal Government's thorough investigation into the Ferguson Police Department's abuse of power and use of excessive force, and we demand the police department ACCEPT the training and assistance currently being offered through the C.O.P.S. program of the Federal Government.

•              A public apology for the militarization of a residential community in response to largely peaceful protest.

•              The immediate establishment of a Civilian Review Board and the establishment of an independently staffed hotline to report incidents of police brutality.

IN THE EVENT THAT THESE DEMANDS ARE NOT MET, WE ARE PREPARED TO:

•              Initiate Coordinated Civil Disobedience Actions that will shut down every major highway in St. Louis during rush hour. – September 10th (support the civic groups)

•              Organize a "Mass March on Jefferson City" & "Mass March on Washington" in protest.

•              Stage a public "Sit Down for Mike Brown" at the Ferguson City Council Meetings EVERY second and fourth Tuesday at 7:00 pm.

•              Organize and Sustain a complete "North County Business Boycott"

•              Organize a St. Louis Convention Boycott.  Contact every scheduled convention gathering scheduled for St. Louis City (information available through visitor's and conventions bureau) and request that they relocate their convention to another city unless Officer Darren Wilson is indicted and tried for the unarmed shooting of Michael Brown. Notify them that failure to comply will result in all conventions being protested daily.

•              Request scheduled artist and all entertainment acts to cancel all St. Louis engagements.

Various email responses raising questions about a number of the statements, demands and possible responses.

Received an email from the Presbyterian Hunger Program, asking if I would do an article for the Advent publication, relating it to Ferguson.  Eventually said I would.  Started writing it--already over the maximum length and haven't gotten to the meat of it yet...

Saturday, September 20:  Morning TV local news segment on yesterday's ribbon cutting and opening of the new Ferguson Community Center.  Late morning we drove over to the Community Center, celebrating the first day of opening to the public.  People were taking walking tours of the building which includes rooms for meetings/activities, an upscale fitness room with flat screen TVs, a recreation room with pool and ping pong tables, and a gym.  Outside, were various booths, children's activities, and free hot dogs and chips.  In an adjacent building, food and other items were being collected, the I Love Ferguson group was selling T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.  The parking lot was full, and people were being bussed over to the center from down town Ferguson.  Many people attended, black and white.

We drove home via the Farmer's Market which was about to close at noon.  People still browsing around.  Several Ferguson and Highway Patrol officers present.  The protestors had been there earlier for much of the time and remained on S. Florissant much of the day.

Later in the day there were media reports of protestors blocking S. Florissant, causing a minor altercation.  One person was slightly bumped by a car, the driver of which swore at them.  A couple protestors banged the car.  The driver and two protestors were arrested, and the street was cleared.  Early evening, on our way to an event, we drove through S. Florissant.  Protestors were still there across from the police station but not in the street.

The annual balloon race was held today, launching from Forest Park.  Nationally, a man climbed over the White House fence and made it into the White House before he was captured.  Internationally, ISIS continues to spread in Iraq.

St. Louis Magazine article by Ray Hartman:  "After Ferguson, Six Steps to Improve Police and Race Relations in St. Louis"
1-Enact Citizen-Police relations boards.
2-Reduce racial profiling, and consistently track it.
3-Implement community policing.
4-Require body cameras on all police officers and mounted cameras on all
    police vehicles.
5-Raise hiring standards for police departments.
6-Make diversity a priority in police departments.

Sunday, September 21: The last day of summer.  Many festivals happening in the St. Louis area.  Today is also the day of the Climate March in New York City, just prior to Tuesday's United Nations Meeting about climate change.  There will also be a climate march in downtown St. Louis that we will attend.  It will be crowded there, as also present will be fans for the Rams and Cardinals games and protestors related to "Ferguson."

This morning at Second PC is the second of two sessions related to "Ferguson", today's focusing on racism, prejudice, and white privilege, using the paper  "White Privilege:  Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack."

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy ...
amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html   - Similar             to White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy ...
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack. Daily effects of white privilege ; Elusive and fugitive; Earned strength, unearned power. "I was taught to see ...
[PDF]

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack ...

www.artsci.washington.edu/.../unpacking-invisible-knapsack.pdf   - Similar             to White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack ...
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh. “I was  taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems  ...

After church, several related to Second PC joined a couple hundred others at Kiener Plaza for the St. Louis People's Climate Change March--a coalition of a number of Groups (e.g., Sierra Club, MO Coalition for the Environment, Interfaith Power and Light, and others), heard talks, marched around Kiener Plaza with signs, banners, songs and chants.  Warm, sunny, and windy day.

Came home and watch the New York City People's Climate March via internet, led by an indigenous delegation and sunflowers (able to remediate toxins in soil).  First estimates: 310,000 participants plus thousands more globally.  Largest climate change march and perhaps largest political march in USA.

Environmental Racism is one of the impacts of Climate Change.

This afternoon, Gwen Ifill, PBS (Public Broadcasting System) taped her program about Ferguson, to be aired September 26.  A couple from Second PC is participating.

A few protestors showed up at the Cardinals game.

Monday, September 22:  Fall equinox, officially later today.  Beautiful, sunny day, low 70s.  Sunlight feels like autumn.

Email received this morning from Howard Nelson, Coordinator of the Ferguson Ministerial Alliance and also a lawyer, regarding what has been accomplished to date re Ferguson.

1. New Pastors in the Alliance.
2. Body cams for the police. They will  reduce DWB’s, and change the
“mentality” of the police as they interact  with people.
3. I met with Orvin Kimbrough, the President  of United Way, and 2 staff members.
Hopefully UW will fund PAKT  again.
UW has $ to rebuild Ferguson.
UW will check with Metro re setting up 2  shuttle buses between Canfield and the Westfall shopping center.
4. Urban League is planning a voter  registration drive.
5. Centene will have 200 jobs at a new  claims processing office in Ferguson. It is willing to  train people for the jobs.
6. The City Council is going to make major  changes to the Municipal Court.
There are also plans for setting up a police  review board.
7. The Department of Justice is already in  town working with Chief Jackson,
reviewing records etc. Chief Jackson has  promised complete cooperation.
8. Father Rosy is planning events, prayers,  marches re the city council. The Mayor
is in on the planning.
9. “I Love Ferguson” presented its first $5,000  check to Reinvest North County to help mom and  pop businesses.
10. I met with 2 staff members of Alderman  Antonio French at their office on West
Florissant to discuss what  will happen after the Grand Jury  decision.
Their opinions: Officer Wilson will not be  indicted.
There are people/groups that will attempt to  loot and burn.
Police should focus on protecting  businesses, so insurance companies will  insure.
11. I met with Tommie Pierson, Pastor at  Greater St. Mark Family Church.
His opinion: Officer Wilson will not be  indicted.
There are people/groups that will attempt to  loot and burn.
Police should focus on protecting  businesses, so insurance companies will  insure.
Have a 10PM curfew so the good people will  go home.
Troublemakers will be exposed.
12. Bishop Jones has made contact with  younger Pastors of the Clergy Coalition.
13. Ongoing support for the Oasis tutoring  program.
14. Emerson will provide $4.4 million for  education and scholarships.
15. $150,000 in pledges to the  Reinvest North County fund for grants to  school districts and damaged businesses.
16. September 20 successful I Love  Ferguson collection.

To  do’s
Implement proposed revisions to the  municipal court.
HTN: Volunteer to do pro bono legal work  with municipal court.
Set up and staff a police review board.
Staff the Human Rights Commission that  already exists.

Two Town Meetings, coordinated by representatives of the Department of Justice, were held tonight.  Residents only invited.  Ferguson Police Department people were checking IDs.

Below is a report from someone who attended one of the meetings:

We went to the Wellspring meeting, which was well managed.

Of course the television cameras were all over the place outside, but the residents-only (with IDs) policy was strictly adhered to. The only  people in the room were a council rep from each ward (Byrne, James, and Kallstrom) and two people from the DOJ.  No recordings allowed, a rule immediately challenged but answered with an escort of the offender out of the room.  A list of facts was distributed to people as they arrived, though I think they ran out due to the jam-packed crowd.  The council reps each spoke very briefly, after which residents were invited to line up behind a microphone to speak for a maximum of 3 minutes each--shortened after about an hour and a half to 1-1/2 minutes each.  Most were respectful, though one woman was cautioned after she spoke of protesters as thugs.  Some of the white speakers have a lot of trouble relating to the issues, very resentful of the protesters they found intimidating (which I d understand), wanting things to "get back to normal," which says to me we'd like it back like it was, and that's not okay with me or with people who have to live a different kind of life than I do.  Some people, both black and white, spoke quite eloquently.  The DOJ reps wrote resident questions on a flipchart, and at the end the council reps addressed the questions, sometimes with answers, sometimes with "I don't know."    It's the first of these many meetings that I've left without a knot in my stomach.  Well-done but only a beginning.

Today's estimate of the NYC Climate March was over 400,000 participants.

Tuesday, September 23:   [Drove to Uptown, Chicago to participate in the dedication/commissioning of the Institute of Cultural Affairs new solar panel installation (483 panels, 2nd largest in Chicago]

Heard reports that early this morning one of the Michael Brown memorials by the sidewalk on the street where he was shot had completely burned to the ground.  No definite cause.  Some thought vigil candles ignited it.  Others said it was set intentionally.

This weekend's Ferguson street fair was cancelled, due to potential violence.  Brian Fletcher of the I Love Ferguson Group called upon people to write to the mayor and council to have it at during the daytime and not be held hostage by the protestors.  It remains cancelled.

Another Town meeting held tonight as well as the Ferguson Council Meeting which was held at the Ferguson Baptist Church.  Newspaper reported a lively meeting, with lots of anger, but not so bad as the last Council meeting.  Below, a report from a clergy representative who attended the meeting:

200% better than 2 weeks ago.
Much smaller crowd. Post-Dispatch said 120.
Much calmer. Some shouting, but people calmed down and let people speak.
Same format. Comments but no answers.
All the municipal court reforms passed.
Police review board was tabled.
Mayor was at a police review board meeting in Kansas City last week.
He is consulting with the trainers on how to set up the board.
Lots of people talking after the meeting. Whites with blacks. Good  conversations.
Meeting was over by 9:20PM

This evening, protesters gathered again and broke into a beauty supply store (3rd time it had been looted) on West Florissant across from the Canfield neighborhood.  Some arrests made; things thrown at police, one of whom was injured.  Two people in hoodies poured gasoline around and started a fire at the Whistle Stop ice cream shop, burning the siding bit but no interior damage before it was put out.

Wednesday, September 24:  [Commissioning of ICA Solar Panels in Chicago]  While waiting for news reports of the Commissioning event on Ch 9 local Chicago TV station, there was a report about Tuesday's turbulence in Ferguson.

Hands Up and Don't Shoot Coalition which is driving the momentum for many demonstrations and other actions:

OUR Call
 We call for immediate and long-term change and commit ourselves to achieving:

      -A Special Prosecutor to conduct a transparent and independent investigation into Michael Brown’s death, and an expanded Department of Justice investigation into patterns of civil rights violations across North County.
     -An end to ongoing racial profiling across North County as documented by annual Missouri statistics.
     -Accountability for police practices and policies, including effective civilian review regarding shootings and allegations of police misconduct.
     -Ongoing initiatives to ensure that local law enforcement departments represent the communities they serve.

Thursday, September 25:  [return to St Louis]

Ferguson Police Captain Jackson released a tape of himself in street clothes apologizing to Michael Brown's family for his death, for his body's being in the street for so long, and o the peaceful protestors for difficulty during the early protests.

Some accepted the apology, others thought it was too little, too late.

In the evening, about 60 protesters walked in the street across from the Police Department.  Police Jackson walked with them for a while until a commotion broke out.  Other officers brought him back to the police department.  Four were arrested.

Friday, September 26:  Last night's S. Florissant scuffle was in the paper as well as on local and NBC Today news.

Out-of-town colleagues stopped by on their way west.  We took a brief tour of Ferguson, including W. Florissant Avenue (site of much of the looting), Canfield Drive where there are three memorials to Michael Brown:  one, in the street where he was shot, a second one in the grass between the sidewalk and street (reconstructed after the original one burned, and the third a plain wooden cross propped against a tree with words painted on it:  Love your neighbor as you would love yourself.  Took some pictures and spoke to two people watching over the memorials.  Received a flyer for a peace and justice concert this Sunday, featuring African American opera Denyce Graves and white St Louis opera singer Christine Brewer (both nationally known), at Normandy School.  We had already planned to attend it.  Drove by Forestwood Park, Old Town neighborhood homes, and S. Florissant across from the police station where a small group of protesters stand daily watch, and back home

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ARTICE FOR SEPTEMBER 1, 2014 FERGUSON TIMES

REVEREND REFLECTIONS
Living Wisely in these Wild andWonderful Times……..
Rev.Carleton Stock      (carletonstock at aol.com)
DISMANTLING RACISM, HEALING COMMUNITY
I am writingthis just days after the tragic fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, so,like most of the community, I am still caught up in all of the emotion of thisunfortunate event in our great city.  Theunrest continues.  The investigation by aGrand Jury into the shooting is just beginning, but I wanted to put my twocents in about dealing with racism here or anywhere.  We thought it couldn’t happen here, thatmeasures were being taken to prevent such unrest and protest; but, lo andbehold it happened here, and now the whole world knows about Ferguson.  And as the St. Louis Post Dispatcheditorialized on August 14, not only does Ferguson have issues, the whole St.Louis region has issues with race, and they must be addressed.  No more running away.
            First a quick reminder of whatracism is from a book I have found helpful over the years, Dismantling Racism: The Continuing Challenge to White America, byJoseph Barndt.  He says that racism isnot just prejudice against another race, it is prejudice plus power.  All of us have certain preconceived notionsabout other races but in the American society, only white people are racistbecause they have the power to dominate the other races, to “keep them in theirplace” if you will.  And this attitudeand position is embedded in all the political, economic and social systems ofthe society.  Racism must be dismantled,rooted out so that power is shared by all. That is what real democracy is all about.
            Racism must be addressed on twolevels.  The first is interpersonal.  We do need to get to know each other betternot only in the workplace, in schools, in churches, in the stores andrestaurants, and on the streets, but also on a personal, social level.  Ferguson and North County St. Louis aresituated to make this a possibility since the races intermingle daily and evenlive next door to one another.  We needto celebrate and affirm each other’s gifts and passions and dreams and we needto be tolerant of our differences.
            The second, the systemic level, ismuch more challenging and controversial because racism is built into our government,business and cultural systems from the national to the local levels.  This is especially true in law enforcementsituations where police have daily contact with minority  communities. And it has to be addressed at every level from the federal to the local,from Washington to Ferguson.
            In the aftermath of the MichaelBrown shooting, I appreciated a statement by the Cabinet of the St. LouisInterfaith Partnership:  “….until thesystemic causes (of such tragedies in Black communities) are addressed andrectified, there will be no change.  TheCabinet calls for all people to pray for calm and peace and be part of healingprocesses that work toward dismantling systemic racism.”
            May this sad event of August 9,which we all wish had never happened, be a catalyst for addressing the racialrealities of Ferguson and for building a city and region where all races canenjoy the rights, privileges, opportunities, and respect they deserve.

A BRIEF DEFINITION OF PREJUDICE AND RACISM

Anyone can be prejudiced--pre-judging or living out of assumptions of other people.  That is usually individual.  Prejudices can be related to race, religion, sex, culture, language, age, etc.

Racism is prejudice plus power--when racial prejudices and biases are supported, built into,  enforced, and controlled systemically, historically, and institutionally in our economic, political and cultural structures.  Mostly, in our communities and country, these institutions are controlled by the white race, therefore, most racism is sustained by the white community.  Both blacks and whites and others can have racial prejudice but it is primarily the white community that holds the power and therefore the onus of racism.  Another dynamic that is part of and reinforces systemic racism is the white race's sense of and living from a stance of white privilege--individually and collectively--assuming certain benefits and privileges that are not experienced by other races.

It is confusing the way the words prejudice and racism or prejudiced and racist are being used interchangeably today.  It is a misnomer to call an individual a racist, except for the fact that a person's prejudice can be part of and supported by a larger system of racism.

Both prejudice and racism need to be addressed through individual and group courageous conversations and acts of kindness, communication, and events that foster understanding, cooperation, and change of hearts and minds.  However, the underlying contradiction of systemic injustice also needs to be addressed  by transforming the institutions and structures that foster and maintain racism through underrepresentation in decision-making and implementation processes; unequal opportunities for education, employment, housing, etc.; and profiling and targeting because of race.