[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Sept. 12

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Sep 20 12:20:37 PDT 2014

FRI SEP 12 * Bourissa Hills, New Carlyle to Good Shepherd Montessori
School, South Bend, IN*

Breakfast was in the Lions Club so I was wakened by the breakfast crew. We
finished meal preparation and clean-up and I hauled my gear back to the
Gear truck, which was 1/4 mile away. It was a lot of work but I used the
hand-truck that Nancy Trask donated to me in Winterset. That made it a lot
easier. I’m not getting the messages sent out on gmail unless my phone is
connected to WiFi so I didn’t have the day’s route. When I looked at the
route posted on the back of the commode I decided that the simplest thing
was to take Hwy 20 into South Bend. I did that, stopped at a McDonalds and
got WiFi, and asked for directions to the school. That got me there. When I
arrived the school was still in session but they gave permission for the
early Marchers to come in and relax in the library. We had a 4pm meeting in
the sanctuary. It was a conference call with those who are planning our NYC
trip. The big issue was changing our original plans to include additional
demonstrations. I finally left, chose a spot for my bed, got my bedroll in
from the truck and set up for the night.

There was to be a potluck at 6pm from several of the local churches. It was
scheduled for the school cafeteria. A few locals brought some food, but it
didn’t happen so we had to prepare dinner. So dinner was at 7:15pm. One of
the couples that visited had a daughter in Carson City. I don’t remember
their names or the name of their daughter. They wondered if we were in
activities where we might have met, and asked me if I was a ‘birder’. I
said “No”. They asked if we lived near the Governor’s Mansion. I said
“Yes”. I asked if they had heard of Muscle Powered, a group in Carson City
that does a lot of things to make walking and biking safe. They said “No”.
I showed them my Muscle Powered T shirt so they would remember the name of
the organization and let their daughter know. At the end of dinner there
were some local folks who did presentations.  Kim helped me get some
hydrogen peroxide out of the Gear truck and I cleaned up a scratch that I
got cycling through a busy street in Oak Park, IL.

Peace, David