[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Sept. 10

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Sep 18 22:48:49 PDT 2014

*WED SEP 10*  *Marquette Park UMC, Gary to First Presbyterian Church,
Michigan City, IN*

The UMC had allowed us to stay inside overnight. But they informed us that
they were locking the doors at 10pm. Ever since Chicago everyone is
concerned about security. All of the filling stations have their cashier,
with a pistol, behind a glass wall. It was nice to be able to stay in the
church because it rained overnight and was raining when we woke up. At
breakfast Doug indicated that the forecast was for rain all morning and
suggested that I put my bike in the Gear truck and ride with him to the
next campsite. I willingly accepted his suggestion!

When we reached 1st Presbyterian Church I phoned the Lindblads. Judy had
suggested that I do a Home-stay with the them so I let her know I had
arrived. The church has a shower room so I took a shower. The local
newspaper, *The News Dispatch* (Michigan City, IN) phoned the church and
asked to interview some Marchers. I had a chance to talk with them and they
quoted me.  A potluck dinner was held at the local Episcopal Church. The
local paper was there and took a picture of the Marchers that they
published in the Thursday paper—front page! The Mayor of Michigan City
attended and addressed the gathering informing us about all the ways
Michigan City is monitoring and protecting the local environment.

Norm and Judy Lindblad arrived at the end of dinner. We had known each
other for 44 years (Rochester, House). We welcomed each other and I
introduced them to John Jorgenson, a Marcher that planned to join me on the
overnight Home-stay with the Lindblads. John is from Pueblo, AZ and Judy
had lived in Pueblo in the past. So they shared conversation. We packed up
and Judy drove the 3 of us to their house. I did some laundry and some work
on the computer and Judy served us wine and ice cream for dessert. We
wrapped up the evening at 10pm. That was probably a little late because the
Thursday March was scheduled for 24 miles, and we would cross into the
Eastern time zone.
--
Peace, David