[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Sept. 8

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Sep 16 12:39:41 PDT 2014

*MON SEP 08** 4750 N Sheridan, Chicago to East Side UMC, East Chicago, IL*

After Circle-up I got on my bike and rode down the lakeshore trail. The
March route said 16 miles. Riding from 4750 I probably added another 5
miles to the route! The March was resuming in Buckingham Fountain so the
Marchers took public transportation to Buckingham.  The map shows E.
Chicago as being in Indiana. I’m not sure we crossed the state line to get
to E. Side UMC. I got there early and they were expecting to host us after
3pm. So I ate my lunch and went to the local library.

At 5pm we marched to a site in the downtown area for a Rally. The press and
the TV knew we would be there. There were 4 or 5 local residents that had
documented the enormous negative effects that the Petcoke industry is on
community health. (A community health nurse and a mother who lives here
spoke at the Chicago Rally on Sat.)  After 45 minutes of presentations we
marched to the yard where the coal is being burned. Just after we arrived
an engine for railroad cars came down the tracks. There were some Marchers
laying across the tracks at the RR crossing. When the engine arrived they
got up and stood in the way. The engine blasted its horn and edged forward.
Those standing in the way did not move. The engine continued to blast its
horn. After 5 minutes of blockage the police arrived and cleared the
tracks. No one was arrested!  I do not take part in protests, but obviously
some in our group do.  Later we had a potluck hosted by members of the
church and local activists. At the close of dinner the local activists
continued making presentations. They have an ‘army’ of well informed
demonstrators. It really is a polluted area so it must be changed.
--
Peace, David