[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug 29-30

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Sep 1 13:44:19 PDT 2014

*SAT AUG  30* *Sterling to Franklin Grove, IL*

It is a 21 mile day and we got up at 4:30am.  The route was simple. It took
us through Ronald Reagan’s hometown: Dixon. When I got to Franklin Grove I
asked for directions to the campsite at Chaplain Creek Historic Village. It
is an area where small buildings have been moved in to preserve history.

Since it was such a long day’s March the Marchers didn’t start arriving
until mid-afternoon. It seemed that people were exhausted. We had an early
dinner and a local couple visited the campsite and brought some dessert for
us. After dinner there were no meetings because people needed a full
night’s rest! I spread my bedroll out on the porch of the Hillsdale
Salthouse. The house was locked so no one was using the porch and the porch
had a nice roof. I was protected if there had been a rain, but I collected
mosquitoes and dew instead.

*SUN AUG  31* *Franklin Grove to the Chicago Skydiving Center (Rochelle),
IL.*

Since Monday will be a Rest-Day and Sunday was only 16 miles people were
not interested in leaving early. We circled up at 7:50am. The Chicago
Skydiving Center had a big campsite where we stayed. They also had a bar, a
restaurant, a lounge, free WiFi, and showers.  Since we were having a
Rest-Day and would be staying 2 nights I got the Taj Mahal (big tent) out
and Izzy helped me put it up. We had to do a temporary fix on one of the
skyline rods because it had broken. All afternoon there were skydivers
coming in. I’m sure you need some training to do this kind of skydiving. It
isn’t a parachute. Its more like a set of wings. And some of the divers
came down awfully fast!

The Center Bar offered 2 free beers to the Marchers. We had an all-camp
meeting before dinner was ready. At the meeting Izzy offered me a can of
beer. When dinner was ready we served ourselves, and resumed the meeting.
One of the major topics was Non-violent Civil disobedience—in Chicago and
DC. The discussion will continue. After dinner I went over to the bar and
had one of my two free beers. Then it was bedtime.
--
Peace, David