[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Update Oct. 21

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Oct 28 18:24:18 PDT 2014

*TUE OCT 21** UMC Camp Allegheny, Stoystown to Trinity Lutheran, Bedford,
PA*

I checked the upcoming terrain on Mapquest last night. It was another 1000
ft of climb on the way to Bedford. So I planned to be a passenger in the
Gear truck for the 3rd day in a row. The route was listed as 25 miles. Last
evening we designated wake-up time as 6am. We were to have all of our gear
in the Gear truck by 7am, then go to the auditorium (1/4 mile) for
breakfast: the Camp let us use the auditorium to make our own breakfast.
We waited another hour before Kim announced that we should Circle-up.
Circle-up finally happened at 8:45am. People are really tired, but there is
little grumbling.

It had rained overnight so the pavement was wet and it was very foggy.
 trailer. The Gear truck was finally loaded at 9:15am. Doug went to talk
with JJ. I didn’t realize until we stopped at the local coffee shop in
Stoystown that they had agreed to stop for coffee. The coffee shop had a
sign posted that said Open 11am. Instead of going in Doug decided to wait
another 15 minutes for JJ to arrive. Once he arrived Doug took another 10
minutes conferring with him. I began journaling on a piece of scrap paper!
Once we departed I began to reflect on how much I enjoy riding my bike. It
has become an adventure. For me, waiting around for people to get up, eat
breakfast, and pack up, and eventually riding in the cab, is not much of an
adventure. However, it was clear that I made the right decision today. It
was foggy, there was a narrow shoulder, Hwy 30 is blacktop, was wet, and we
reached a summit that had a sign—2300 feet elevation. I would have had to
walk up a number of hills and go slowly down them with a minimum shoulder
which was also wet.

.

Doug stopped to fill up the truck’s gas tank. I got some hot chocolate.
When we arrived at the church we had difficulty parking the solar trailer
and the gear truck. Once the associate pastor oriented us to the building
Doug helped me get my bike off the truck so people could get down the truck
aisle and get their things. I had time to make a digital file of *Which
Side Are You On?*, the song introduced to us in Pittsburg. The fellow who
introduced it reminded us that singing binds us together. I want us to
learn it and sing it. I also made a copy of *The Impossible Dream* (it
ought to be our theme song), and a copy of the script I plan to use to
recruit schools for *ClimateChangeIsElementary* program in northern NV when
I get home. The March has a printer and I’ll get Jeffrey or John Abbe to do
some printing.

The Marchers straggled in. The church members sat us down at tables and
served us the meal. It’s the first time we've been served a meal rather
than buffet style. After dinner the GMCA’s Village Council members had a
meeting. The main topic was whether or not the gear truck would pull the
solar trailer and be driven back to Des Moines, or whether provisions would
be made to sell the truck in WDC and find an alternate way to get the
trailer back. They went on and on. The issue will be brought to an All-Camp
meeting in the next couple of days.
--
Peace, David