[Oe List ...] Hallowed E'en

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Oct 27 21:53:01 PDT 2014

HallowedE'en

We've covered this territory before but just one more time,the word "Halloween" comes from the Scottish word for "hallowedevening" of the English, and the Scots, considered the poor cousins, wereexcused their street-smart version of the royal lingo for "humor andridicule to confront the power of death."

Today's scare that Halloween easily triggers include themuch discussed and much denied climate change; the reason for clamping on Iranand the DPRK on the specter of nuclear winter; and, of course, the quick demiseof the Islamic State lest it gobbles up the globe, as Aussie PM Tony Abbot likesto scare Oz and US tots.

Let's take the posturing of Uncle Sam of the widely printedposter.  The funny old man white-hatted UncleSam whose most offensive picture is pointing fingers to recruits to itsselective service system with words boldly printed, "I Want You", turnsout to have some scary scenarios in his subterranean subways.

In the Philippines of my youth, to serve in the US Army, Navyand Air Force in Guam, Okinawa, and Hawaii, was universally desired, never mindthat salts could not rise above the rank of Corporal.  They were taken into the service to replaceAfrican-Americans formerly stereotyped into the mess hall.  One returned from the Korean War with a halo adorninga heroes' welcome after joining other countries under the UN banner and UScommand "in defense of freedom", never mind that Koreans stewed over US'preferential treatment of Japan's warmongers over their interests.  At least, the military culture was a benignuncle that took care of veterans and provided scholarships for offspring.

Uncle Sam is hardly a scary picture, though acts perpetuatedin his name do not measure up to the warmth of the appellation.  First in my recollection was the RescissionAct of 1946, a law the United States passed to retroactively annul benefitsthat would have been payable to Filipino troops on account of their US militaryservice in WWII. The reason widely given was that the US gave $200 million to thePhilippines after the war.  Of the 66 USallies on WWII, only Filipino veterans were denied military benefits.

Not that it made any difference to my family.  My father was a pastor whose mimeo machine andhis literary skills were used for propaganda purposes.  Listed with the veterans after the war, henever applied for benefits.  American-ledguerillas publicly quartered his brother for being a public school teacher who translatedfor the Japanese.

A Church-going "enemy" Lieutenant informed my Dad thathis name was in the list and he should leave town "yesterday".  I was already on deposit but I waited to comeout full term instead of panicking out as an encumbrance while on the run!

England and Japan divided the Pacific after WWI with Japanholding all real estate north of the equator, and England, the south, exceptfor US occupied Guam and American Samoa. After WWII, the UK organized the Commonwealth of Nations and recededfrom its empire.  The United States tookover Japan's holdings and started America's empire.

US' Joseph Stillwell advised Chiang Kai-shek againstJapan.  The Seventh Fleet guarded the TaiwanStrait after Chiang carted the Imperial Palace's treasures.  Taipei became a manufacturing center forAmerica and a captive consumer of US jets and armaments.

USFJ still substantially occupies Okinawa.  Senkaku would be Diaoyu had it stayed withTaiwan rather than be appendage to the Ryukyus where it does not belong.  The USFJ kept the likes of Shinzo Abe at bayuntil Obama decided to officially arm Nippon warriors in defense of sovereignterritories and interests (aka ChinaSea).

That did not make Seoul happy but being the unofficial 51stState of the Union, totally dependent on the USF Korea, it demonizes godlessDPRK instead, especially now that almost a third of SoKor march to the tune ofOnward Christian Soldiers!

Former Oz PM Kevin Rudd recently revealed that he was askedwhile still on his watch Down Under to join India, Japan and the US contain thegrowing threat of China.  The US sails orflies close to the 10th mile security zone of its longtime enemy but China is nowamong "frenemies" and Pentagon boys are at a loss on how to stir uptrouble without getting telltale fingerprints left at the border.

ISIS costumes, particularly with the head hood wrap, and conceivably,a throat-slashing cardboard knife, will definitely be a scare thisHalloween.  Gross acts committed in thatattire definitely fit the evening.  Afterall, it is hard to simulate the "scare" in pushing a button tounleash a drone on a village, or eject a bomb from a jet to wipe out a wholebuilding, never mind civilian consequences. One does not have the specter of staring at one's shaking hands afterslashing someone's throat!  In fact,after a bombing run, a flyer goes home to dinner with the wife/husband/friendand the children.  No hay problema.

Acute stress reaction (PCTD) ghoulishly kicks in later, a realHalloween!

j'aime la vie
pinoypanda2031 at aol.com

yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today. participate. In all, celebrate!