[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Nov. 1st. It's the end of the trail!

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Nov 19 11:55:14 PST 2014

*SAT NOV 01* *U. U. Church, Bethesda, MD. to Lafayette Park, WDC*

The March got up at 6am, had breakfast at 7am. We loaded the rental truck,
cleaned the Church, and left by 8am. Incredible! We were scheduled to have
several stops along the way for people that planned to join us. All
together it was a 6 mile walk to Lafayette Park. The March had rented a
megaphone and used it periodically to lead group chants. Eventually it went
quiet. I was given the megaphone to lead the group in a new version of the
song *Which Side Are You On.* I sang the verses into the megaphone and the
March sang the chorus (song below). I also sang *The Impossible Dream.*

I saw Izzy’s daughter as we marched. I stopped and talked with her. Izzy
must have been at the tail end of the March. When we got to the park, Izzy
pulled out his guitar and led us in the Sunset song. While I was waiting
for the Lafayette Park Rally to begin David Rebstock came up to me. He
introduced himself and I didn’t recognize him. I was surprised and
delighted that a colleague of mine joined the March Rally. Kathy was the MC
and introduced Ed who welcomed the crowd and reflected on the March. Then a
series of us read comments that we collected along the March. Mine was from
Penasco, NM. A Native American named Marvin MacAuley said to us, “Don’t
forget us little people.”

After the card readings there were additional presentations. The sound
system didn’t work and it was difficult to get the speakers to speak into
the megaphone. Once the Rally was completed David R. and I went to the
Unitarian Universalist Church to a presentation by Michael Doud. On the way
over we reflected on the times our families had spent together. Having been
to a presentation he made in Santa Fe, NM I was familiar with Doud’s
material. His presentation took an hour and ½. Then David and I went to the
Presbyterian Church where we were having dinner, the closing reflection on
the March, and sleeping overnight. David stayed for dinner and the closing
reflection. It finished at 10:15pm and since David  had crowded into a
parking place, I went with him to help him squeeze out. I forgot that
Daylight’s Saving time was falling back. I thought I was going to bed at
10:45pm. I was actually going to bed at 9:45pm.

*Which Side Are YOU On – Climate Style*

*CHORUS*

*WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON? WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?*

*WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?-- Tell Me -- WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?*

*Verse 1*

They say where Sandy came ashore, there are no neutral souls

You’re either on the Climate March, or a still for oil and coal.

*CHORUS*--*Verse 2*

Come all of you good people, some real news I will tell

Of how the age of climate change has come in here to dwell.

*CHORUS*--*Verse 3*

People, can you stand Fox News, oh tell me how you can?

Will you march in New York town  *[ WDC ]* and help us take a stand.

*CHORUS—Verse 4*

The Maldives and Miami are sinking in the waters.

Not the world we want to leave our sons or our daughters.

*CHORUS—Verse 5*

In the state of California the water’s going fast.

Mother Nature’s getting pissed, you know that she bats last.

*CHORUS*—*Verse 6*

We’ve got storms and we’ve got droughts; we’ve got deniers’ lies.
The only way to win this fight is March and organize!

Thank you all for following these 'blogs' of sort, and for your continual
support and prayers all of these long 8 months.  It was a once in a life
time journey that I am still getting my mind around.  It is very good to be
home and get my feet on the ground here.
--
Peace, David

--
Peace, David