[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Oct. 26

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Nov 2 05:48:41 PST 2014

SUN OCT 26 *Presbyterian Ch, Greencastle, PA to Unitarian Universalist Ch,
Hagerstown, MD*

The route to Hagerstown was only 11 miles. It had us crossing another state
line. Since it was a short day, breakfast wasn’t scheduled until 8:30am. In
the apartment we woke up at 7:30am. I packed up some of my bedding, got it
down to the Church. The route was rolling. I didn’t have to walk any hills
but I went very slowly up the hills. The March didn’t leave the Church
until 10am. The schedule of events had the March crossing the PA/MD border
at noon. I didn’t want to spend that kind of time. I crossed the border all
by myself. The sign said Mason-Dixon line. I got to the U. U. Church about
11:30 am. When I arrived there were a number of cars in the parking lot.
Once the cars left I went inside and introduced myself. Bill was the host
and the chef. As we visited he showed me around. The Church had acquired
the 8-acre property that had a 2 story house and a 4-car garage. The house
had been turned into the nursery, the adult study room, and the office.
They re-modeled the garage into the meeting hall/sanctuary.

I spent some time journaling during the afternoon. They provided a potluck
dinner. Bill was in charge. His helpers were Senior Citizens. Tables were
set up which transformed the sanctuary into a dining hall. Very few, if
any, locals joined us at the dinner table. Many of the Marchers set up
their tents out in the yard. I prefer the indoor environment when it’s
available. I set my sleeping pad under the table that serves as an altar.
There were no meetings. Some folks stayed up until after 10pm.

*It has been difficult for David to send his journaling so we are missing
some dates.  The final decision about the ending of the March was that a
local truck was rented to store the belongings of those staying in WDC for
a week. The stay days of Oct. 30-31 in Bethesda, MD were used to empty the
gear truck, sort the belongings and the Lost and Found box. Then the food
truck was cleaned  and the refrigerator moved to the gear truck for return
to Des Moines. The U-Haul will be turned in later in WDC.  It was a big
job, but a good team effort.*

*On Nov. 1st, the March into WDC was 6 miles and met by people along the
way, then a rally with many presenters.  In the evening, the marchers
gathered for their last evening all together and had a big send out for
each one. Izzy returned and played his guitar so they could sing their
songs. It was a very festive evening.*

*David and Judy will have a home stay in Bethesda tonight and get on the
road with the gear truck and solar panel trailer on Monday morning.  They
estimate 1050 miles to Des Moines.  I am leaving Sunday morning in our van
to meet David there mid-week (estimated 1650 miles for me). We are eagerly
awaiting our reunion!  LZ*