[Oe List ...] Women for Warren, ST Tuesday from Jaime

wangzhimu2031 at aol.com wangzhimu2031 at aol.com
Sat May 10 23:48:59 PDT 2014

Womenfor Warren

I do not watch TV very often but I peeked on clips of the White HouseCorrespondents’ 60th anniversary dinner andLOL’d on the joke on Hillary Clinton being an attractive next President sincewe can pay her 30 percent less.

Michelle Obama, however, did one thing Hillary did not do while inthe White House, that is, to deliver the Presidential address on behalf of thePresident.  Michelle before Mothers’ Daybroke a barrier and spoke on behalf of the Nigerian school girls kidnapped inAfrica.

Yingluck Shinawatra, Prime Minister of Thailand was deposed by aConstitutional Court’s ruling for “abuse of power”.  The reason on the massive street protest bythe “yellow” group led by former deputy Minister and self-proclaimed GeneralSecretary of the Democratic Reform Party, Suthep Thaugsuban, is Suthep’s chargethat Yingluck is a puppet of her brother, the military-deposed former PrimeMinister Thaksin.  Her “red” supporters,of the north and northwest quadrant were subdued during her term, advised notto do anything while the “yellows” mouthed their diatribes, but that haschanged as Yingluck is out of office, and Suthep desperately wants to beappointed PM without benefit of election.

The Shinawatra “dynastic” reign began when upstart Thaksin becamePrime Minister in 2001, the only PM to serve a full term without being kickedout for corruption, to return on a popular landslide until summarily deposed bythe military on 2006.  Charge?  Corruption, of course!  Thaksin and Suthep had been at loggerheadsfrom the start.  In 2011, Thaksin askedhis younger sister Yingluck to lead the “upstart” party, subsequently becomingPM after she bested Suthep’s Party.

I am going to great lengths on this because it is clear from where Isit that Yingluck’s luck ran out when she was reduced to being a femalemouthpiece of her brother.  The“corruption” charge on him is par for the course.  Suthep, too, not only was accused ofcorruption while in public office, but also of murder for giving direct ordersto shoot at protesting “red” shirts while he was in office. The last threedecades saw corruption judgments from the Constitutional Court againstThailand’s politicos, the latest being on Yingluck, the luckless female in thebunch!

Park Geun-hye in Korea, daughter of the assassinated Korean PresidentPark Chung-hee, has been subdued of late grieving over the tragedy of the MVSewol ferrying High School students to the island of Jeju.  Though we applauded her ascension to heroffice as a female politician, the patriarchal Korean society makes her actmore to out-guy the guys in public.  Sheis refreshingly showing part of her feminine wiles into a guile-filled postureof submission and artfully gaining acceptance. Merkel of Germany, on the other hand, does not hesitate to arm wrestle mano-o-mano Putin on Ukraine!

“Women” in Chinese means “we”,a rather collaborative, cooperative, and communal term.  An old saying, revived by Mao Zedong, “nu ren nong ding ban bian tian” (womenhold half of the sky), emboldened Chinese female during the revolution.  Many female entrepreneurs following Deng XiaoPing’s opening up and reform made bold moves, with a few, particularly infinancial matters, taking their initiatives beyond the pale of the law.

But China still prefers its sons, with the current lopsided ratio of54 males to 46 females in the under-30 population.  Among my students at the University, snagginga boyfriend, however, remains a top priority, and management personnel in corporateoffices are still dominated by the strutting cock! (Khuy! for Vladimir.)

The abduction of 284 girls in northern Nigeria that has the world inan outcry was on the objections of rebels on their education.  Malala of Afghanistan survived anassassination, an activist towards female education in “veiled” countries, athorn in al-Qaeda’s stomping out of the female specie from learning to read andwrite, and in a misuse of the name of Allah, would not have them have a mind oftheir own in public!

Matriarchy in the Marianas is well entrenched.  A co-teacher refused to marry the father ofher three children so that she can parcel out real estate along matriarchallines.  But on the whole, the reason wechuckle at the WH Correspondents’ Dinner joke is that almost a century afterthe US gave women the vote, they still have to try harder just to be at parwith their male counterpart in almost every field with a long way to go.  Michelle might have cracked the WH glassceiling this Mother’s Day.

I watched the Clintons while living in Washington DC during theirterm in office.  That was a conjugalpresidency that the US could not accommodate. We are due for a female President. Hillary and Bill might be watching their health to be an option.  I see Hillary to be too divisive for a nationneeding desperately to be healed. Elizabeth Warren, an Okie transplanted to the East Coast, fights hard butwith a feminine touch.  I hope sheconsiders taking the plunge.

 “We the People” can translateto Women Renmin in Zhonghua.  Will get a t-shirt emblazoned with: Womenfor Warren.

j'aime la vie
pinoypanda2031 at aol.com

yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today. participate. In all, celebrate!