[Oe List ...] OE Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14

richard & Maria Maguire richardandmaria at unfoldingfutures.net
Sat Mar 22 17:24:06 PDT 2014

Thanks for this Ellie

We feel very unhappy about the situation of US citizens on health care.
The US is widely known to have poorer health outcomes than a large
number of industrial nations, with one of the highest expenditures on
health care as a proportion of GDP in the world.

We feel that the current plan in the US is much better than what was
there, but still gives very little for very much money, compared to
nations like Germany, Australia, the UK, and many others.

I don't know what can be done practically, other than inform people that
things don't need to be the way they are, and that the beneficiaries of
the current system are the private medical industry, including
especially the insurance companies.

We have seen conservative government attacks on the quite good public
health system in Australia, generous subsidies to private health
insurance, proposed introduction to fees for the now free consultations
with GPs etc.  The main drivers seem to be the private medical industry
like in America, and the ideology that private is better than public,
even thought the opposite is true. Who would have though that 40 years
after we worked on the New Social Vehicle  and our many efforts, that
things would be this way still.

Richard