[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Charles Moore

Jan Allen via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Jul 5 13:26:03 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I was in the Order from 1971 through 1976, so I’m sure many of you don’t know me.  I was married to John Latham at the time. I forget the details but somewhere during those years at some meeting or other in some town I’ve forgotten about,  Charles was leading a discussion. Someone told a story of personal loss of a loved one, then another did the same, and I did the same. As there seemed to be a desire to move on, Charles said: No, this is how the dead live on.  And so the stories continued a bit. It was a precious, touching, and profound moment that Charles created.  A moment in time I’ll always remember.

I didn’t know Charles well nor work with him directly. But what I saw was a kind, sensitive and profound spiritual leader. I’m grateful I knew him.

I’ve read so many of your stories about Charles - not just his final act but old times that mean a great deal to you.  I sense that this is what Charles might have hoped would happen; that through our stories his dedicated to the relief of innocent suffering would live on and possibly inspire others to take up a similar dedication.   Whether we and others in our country choose to be inspired or repelled by his act is a personal choice, but it seems to me that that’s why he ended his life in such a dramatic, painful, and impactful way.  As many have said, I would not do it myself and I believe there’s plenty to keep living for and fighting for in our society. But obviously some are called to take a different stance as regards the end of their lives.

I wish you all well and join you in mourning the passing of Charles Moore.

Grace and peace…. and Namaste,

Jan (Latham) Allen