[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 28-29

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Jul 30 20:27:30 PDT 2014

*MON Jul 28*

Monday was a 19 mi March: from Ashland to W. Omaha, NE. We got up at 4:45am
had an early breakfast and tried to get on the road early. The Marchers
didn’t circle up until 7am. And there was work to do to get the church left
‘cleaner-than-we-found-it’. My job on breakfast cleanup was done, so after
the circle-up I left for W Omaha. It was a long ride. I didn’t get to Hope
Presbyterian church until 12:30pm. I ate lunch and phoned Joan Wallace, my
friend and host for the next 2 days. She indicated that she could come and
get me when I was ready.  I told JJ that I had put my bike on his trailer
when Don and Jane McClain arrived!  They indicated they had stopped in to
see Joan and would take me to her house. When we arrived we met Joan’s
daughter, Jil.  Joan indicated she had the bathroom ready for me. What a
treat to take a bath and not just a quick shower.  (*Here's the picture
that Joan took when he was presentable.*)

We had a leisurely afternoon and shared the history that linked us all
together. I learned that Joan is self-employed, which means she can make
her schedule to suit her needs. She arranges translation of Spanish,
French, and Thai on the Internet: amazing.   Don had already chosen a
restaurant in the Farmers’ Market where he wanted to have dinner. We went
out and had dinner. We came back and continued our sharing history and
reminiscing until bedtime. Joan had given me her bedroom and Jil was
sharing her bedroom with her mother.  What wonderful friends, is all I can
say.

*TUE Jul 29*

Tuesday was an easy morning. Joan made sure I had my favorite breakfast,
granola and yogurt. She offered to take me shopping  because I needed
bicycle gloves, etc.  We got the shopping done and Joan made a lasagna dish
for the potluck for the Marchers at a church halfway to the next campsite.
Don and Jane and Patty and Dick Whiteman joined us. We continued to share
stories from the past. We also agreed to attend the Rally at the café near
the Tuesday night campsite. I had the opportunity to introduce Joan, Don
and Jane and Patty and Dick to the Marchers.  At the cafe the Prairie Gator
Band played a set of music and paused for announcements on Climate Change
and fundraising for the March. When the band began playing again our
‘crowd’ decided to leave.  But it was a good day for the marchers as well
as for me personally.

[image: Inline image 1]

--
Peace, David