[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA 7/27

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Jul 30 17:58:08 PDT 2014

*Sun Jul 27*

We were ready to leave by 7:30. The vehicles still had to be packed up but
they would be able to get out of the church parking lot by 8:00. It was a
straight shot east (13 miles) on Hwy 6 to Ashland, NE. The Lutheran Church
is hosting us and will have a potluck supper and program for us. I arrived
at the church at 10:15am. The church service is from 9:30 to 10:30 so I
missed the service. But I was greeted by Jack and Carol who live in Ashland
and are members of the church. They invited me to stay for coffee. Jack
introduced me to pastor Lauri and some of the other members. He and Carol
returned home so Carol could fix the dish that she was bringing to the
potluck in the evening.

We had permission to stay in the church overnight so I chose a room, got
out my computer, and set up my sleeping equipment. We had an All-Camp
meeting at 4pm. The marchers who were leaving were acknowledged. The
sag-wagon schedule, the packing and keeping the gear truck accessible,
fundraising, and all-around assignments were topics of discussion.

The potluck dinner started at 6pm.  After dinner we were invited to the
sanctuary where we had a workshop on climate change. Another Lutheran
pastor led the workshop. The first question she asked us was, “When you
hear reference to climate change what one word comes to mind?” We were
asked to work in groups of 3 to 4 and to agree on one word. When she asked
us for the answer to the first question there were 2 people at the
whiteboard writing the responses. I found the responses depressing. The
next question was “What is your response to the answers we have on the
board?”  Most of the group found the responses depressing. The last
question was “What will/can you do in the next 3 months to alter the
climate change?" She was after small steps that could be taken. I
volunteered that I had purchased a cup and when I go into the convenience
store to get my hot cocoa I take it with me. Not only does that keep me
from throwing one more cup away, it also usually gives me a discount.
 After the group had a chance to share their steps, we called it an evening.

Peace, David