[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 20-21

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Jul 24 15:18:52 PDT 2014

*SUN Jul 20*

The route on the other side of Solar Barn to York was 18 miles  When I
reached York the first alternative for the campsite was the York
Fairgrounds, but  there was a horse show going on. The second was the 1stUMC.
There was one summer service at 10 o’clock. I chose not to attend and
interrupt the service so I went downstairs and journaled. Eventually the
pastor came downstairs and greeted me. He said we couldn’t camp outside and
would need to be in the church.  After the Marchers arrived many had to
take a nap.

In the late afternoon there was a program meeting. We were anticipating
upcoming cities, events, and crossing into Iowa. Dinner was sponsored by
Center for Rural Affairs (CFRA). It was held in the nearby Union Bank
Conference Center. They provided a Spanish meal and had a 3 person panel.
One of the Marchers, John J. (JJ) was also on the panel. CFRA provided the
questions for the panel. The questions related to how climate change will
affect agriculture. The dinner and the panel finished at 8:30. We returned
to the church and prepared for the next day: 16 miles in high temp and
humidity. Wakeup at 4:45!

*MON Jul 21*

I found a paved alternative—US Hwy 34 from York to Utica. I stopped for hot
chocolate and before long Izzy and Doug joined me. They had taken the
trucks down to the campsite and come back to the filling station and
restaurant. We had a conversation with Joyce Petersen, a resident of Utica
for 40 years. She had worked in the town bank, and when the filling station
closed she and her friends bought it and re-opened it.

When I got back to the campsite, in consultation with Izzy, I decided to
sleep under the camp shelter. There was a swimming pool at the park so I
went over to the pool, took a shower, and had a dip in the pool. After that
we had an all-camp meeting on plans: for the Lincoln/Omaha engagements, the
end of this month, and for the NYC trip to Peoples Climate Lobby in late
Sep. The temperature was in the 90’s. It seemed that the group was
easy-going because there was cold beer all around! The wind was blowing and
I had difficulty hearing, so I will have to ask someone what the essential
decisions were.
--
Peace, David