[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 16

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jul 20 18:30:54 PDT 2014

*WED Jul 16*

It was a Rest Day in Grand Island, NE.  As usual I was up early and so went
to the kitchen truck to create my breakfast.  At home I’d been in the habit
of eating my homemade granola and yogurt. I’m delighted to find that
combination has become a standard breakfast menu on the March. After
breakfast I got directions to the Library and headed off on my bike. I
found an Ace Hardware on the way and bought a tail-blinker light for my
bike. I’m anticipating the days getting shorter so I will have lights if
need be.  Later Izzy told me that lots of people stayed up ‘til 1 AM last
night and so got up at various times.

I got a chance to use the Library’s computer and came back to the church
for lunch. In the afternoon I shopped for batteries and confirmed the
departure route. Grand Island residents and the Church offered us a potluck
dinner. Wayne was a guest and told us about all the issues he has been
addressing— Keystone XL Pipeline; climate change; interfaith cooperation,
homeless families; same sex marriage; and many more.  He had us help plant
an apple tree in the church yard so that there would be apples for
everyone.  After we planted the tree there was a presentation in the
sanctuary that described the impact climate change will have on Nebraska’s
water table, and as a result the impact on fish and waterfowl.  It
underscored the importance of reversing  climate change.  And it made it
clear that inability to reverse it will result in the permanent loss of the
species that depend on the water table. The presentation went until 9 PM.
It was time to prepare for bed because we wanted to get going early in the
morning.
--
Peace, David